Timing Covers & Oil Coolers

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Craig Willson
(@humble-bub)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

One morequick question. I can’t seem to get the front cover off as oil cooler impeding. Is it necessary to remove the oil cooler or is there a ‘trick’ to getting it off without removing?

Posted : 07/31/2020 09:23
Craig Willson
(@humble-bub)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks Scot, both for the reply and moving the thread. Yep, on disconnecting battery. I have a healthy respect for smoke and won’t touch anything remotely related to any wire without pulling the negative battery cable. First ya get old then ya get smart(er).

Posted : 07/31/2020 11:10
john stirling
(@arni)
Trusted Member

Yeah, on my '83 RS I got sick of that the first time I had to do it. So I fabricated a new bracket. Now I can reach in from one side with a long handled allen T wrench, Loosen two screws and just swing the cooler up and out of the way.

Posted : 07/31/2020 13:54
Richard W
(@wobbly)

My experience on the road models ('81 and '88) is that the Oil Cooler is mounted to the frame with a single 8mm bolt at top center. Using a 13mm wrench remove that bolt and the cooler is free to drop down, constrained only by the 2 oil lines.

Actually, I hate the oil coolers. In GA the temps are so moderate that I remove them and opt for the MAC Deep Sump oil pan. I don't ever plan to ride out west, in fact I never leave the garage above 90°F. The complexity of the oil cooler design strikes me as a totally in-elegant, design-by-committee solution. (On par with God asking for a horse, and the design committee coming back with the camel.) You can definitely tell that the "car group" were in total control of the "motorcycle design group" when this thing emerged from the company.

https://shop.macperformance.com/MAC-BMW-Twins-1970-1989-Large-Oil-Sump-Pan-98101.htm

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/05/2020 17:45

Advertisement

Scroll to top