Clear all

re-torquing a seeping cylinder head

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
Sid Cranston
(@bmwsid)
Topic starter

I have a '91 R100RT with 125K miles on it. The left cylinder head gasket is seeping oil, and i need to re-torque it. Is this best done 'stone cold' like valve adjustments, or while the engine is hot? I know not to try to tighten it ANY over 28 FT. LBS as it is the MAX, and threads can be pulled on the cyl. head studs. I just need to know the best temp. for this operation.
Thank you.

Posted : 07/28/2016 01:24
Sid Cranston
(@bmwsid)
Topic starter

Because I have the fairing and all, I am wondering if it is just a pushrod tube seal, and the wind is swirling around and getting it up on the head gasket, making it look like that is where it is leaking. I am way over-due to adjust my valves anyways, so I guess it is time to get into some maintenance. I pulled a stud on the other side a while back, I sure dont want to go through that again! Thank you for the reply.

Posted : 07/30/2016 17:46
Sid Cranston
(@bmwsid)
Topic starter

Sounds like a good plan. Far as nor riding in hot weather, I have little choice. Western N.Y. is part of the rust belt, and is called that for a good reason. They use salt and or calcium chloride on the roads once it drops below freezing, and that ends my riding till we get a decent rain, washing all that corrosiveness off the roads. I kinda hate to get too far into something that will dis-able my bike for long. I guess it remains to be seen what the problem is first, as you suggest, go from there.

Posted : 07/31/2016 01:37

Advertisement

Scroll to top