Clear all

Tach noise

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Chris Rizzo
(@chris-rizzo)
Topic starter

I recently acquired  this R75/7.  The bike runs great, every time I get on it my ride ends up being much longer than I planned, just from enjoyment.  The only issue is the tach.  The needle would jump around + or - 200 rpm.  Now is is beginning to make a lot of noise.  When I unhook the cable the noise stops, leading me to believe the tach is gong bad.  Don't think I have skill/patience to rebuild it.  What is the best option for getting that done.  Also will I do any harm in sealing the cable and just riding it without the tach for the time being.  Thanks

Posted : 05/16/2021 09:35
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I would think that a /7 bike should have the electronic tach... there is no drive cable as there was on the /5 models. Which of course leaves only the instrument "head" as the source of the noise. 

Back on the RH ignition coil (under the fuel tank), should be a single grass-green wire. That's the wire that sends the ignition pulse to the tach. Unplug that one wire and the tach will take a rest.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/16/2021 13:50
Bruce Cockcroft
(@manoverboard)

I had the same problem on my1975 R75/6. I didn't have the needle jumping problem. The noise did go away when disconnecting the cable. I was able to find a replacement tach, and put it into the gauge cluster. Noise went away. I assume it was something in the tach. I too don't feel competent to try and repair it myself. With the replacement installed, I will eventually send the original tach off for repair.

Posted : 05/18/2021 07:46

Advertisement

Scroll to top