5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
chris wilson
(@wursthead)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi all,
I was changing the bars on my bike and for some unknot reason decided to look under the cap held on by the one flathead screw that houses the cam chain set up that controls the throttle. it slipped out of place and I can't seem to line it up correctly to make it work right. I know im overlooking some kindling up with the cogs etc. any help would be greatly appreciated. stay safe everybody

Posted : 04/10/2020 00:39
Scott Ambler
(@scott-ambler)
Eminent Member

Check out Boxer2Valve videos on their website. #18 in the R90/6 series has a pretty clear explanation of the proper procedure.

Posted : 04/10/2020 06:44
chris wilson
(@wursthead)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

thanks Scott!!

Posted : 04/10/2020 12:58
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

As you look at the cam gear and the twist , you will notice that the twist has a groove or long slot. Looking @ the top cap, has a protruding slightly curved tab at the end of the cap.. That tab fits down inside the long groove of the twist handle.. The tab in the cap does 2 things.
it stops the twist from rotation forward.
and
it holds the twist from getting pulled off the handle bar.

Looking carefully as some grease may block the clarity of the 2 notches, one notch is on the twist tooth and the other on the cam. Those line up. Then you can place the cap back down onto the assembly. I use white lithium grease on the handlebar itself. Some inside the twist tube. More on the chain and end slide area that the cables attach to. The gear teeth mesh, all rotating parts and some on the cap where it touches the top of the cam.

If you ever need to change the twist mechanism because the cheap 'pot metal' fails due to wear against the cam, Please change BOTH as a match set.

excessive wear on teeth

Posted : 04/16/2020 04:09
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

As you look at the cam gear and the twist , you will notice that the twist has a groove or long slot. Looking @ the top cap, has a protruding slightly curved tab at the end of the cap.. That tab fits down inside the long groove of the twist handle.. The tab in the cap does 2 things.
it stops the twist from rotation forward.
and
it holds the twist from getting pulled off the handle bar.

Looking carefully as some grease may block the clarity of the 2 notches, one notch is on the twist tooth and the other on the cam. Those line up. Then you can place the cap back down onto the assembly. I use white lithium grease on the handlebar itself. Some inside the twist tube. More on the chain and end slide area that the cables attach to. The gear teeth mesh, all rotating parts and some on the cap where it touches the top of the cam.

If you ever need to change the twist mechanism because the cheap 'pot metal' fails due to wear against the cam, Please change BOTH as a match set.

excessive wear on teeth

Posted : 04/16/2020 04:12

Advertisement

Scroll to top