Clear all

1995 R100RT Fork Seals

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Dylan Stewart
(@14051)
Topic starter

I am finally getting around to replacing fork seals. I have the legs on the bench to remove the old seals. I notice that both the old seals are flush with the top of leg ( and then the top tapered part of seal protrudes above that.) The part I don't understand is the gap between the bottom of the seal and the only place I see to "seat "the seal. Any help would be appreciated. I do see a spacer listed at Max. thanks again Dylan , Vernon BC

Posted : 04/07/2020 23:15
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have replaced hundreds of fork seals, but never on a BMW. If I understand your question correctly, you are asking about the reason for the void under the seal itself. Or, why isn't the seal seated further into the fork leg.

It's common for there to be a vacant area, and I assume this is so that on the down stroke, oil doesn't puddle at the top of the leg and force it's way past the seal. If there was no void, then on the down stroke, oil being forced up under pressure, wouldn't have any place to go... except past the seal. So just seat the seal flush with the top of the leg and you'll be fine.

PS. You'll have a much easier time if you apply a product called "P80 Emulsion" onto the seal before attempting the install. (See Amazon.)

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/08/2020 00:20

Advertisement

Scroll to top