Torquing drive shaft bolts

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Rick Schroeder
(@red-horse)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Is there a special tool or method to torque the 4 bolts on the drive shaft to output flange? Just completed a spline lube on a 81r100 RT. Is there anything available through the lend a tool program?
red horse

Posted : 11/21/2019 01:02
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member

I found this printout years ago(see attachment). This tool is for torquing the drive shaft bolts.
Not sure if it's for the bolts you're talking about. I.e., which end of the driveshaft you're talking about.

Unfortunately I don't know who makes it, the printout is all I have. Perhaps you can glean something from it and do a search.

Good luck...

Posted : 11/23/2019 08:22
Rick Schroeder
(@red-horse)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Blue 1 thank you for the info.
I'm torquing the 4 bolts of the drive shaft to the output flange on the transmission.
I saw something on Snowbum's website. That also requires making a special tool. Snowbum suggested the two grunts and a fart tight method, but not recommended.
I have the northeast winter to work on it. I'll look into the lend a tool program. If not then have something made.
Thanks again
rick
81 R100RT (original owner)

Posted : 11/23/2019 11:45
Richard W
(@wobbly)

• You might check Snap-On and other high-end tool sellers for an extended "Crow's Foot". That's what that tool is called.

• You can skip the fancy math if you simply place the Crow's Foot at 90° to the torque wrench handle. The math is only needed when the Crow's Foot is in-line with the torque wrench because it extends the active distance. (The torque wrench has been calibrated using the length of the handle.) Torque is of course, Force x Distance (with caveats). So when you extend the torque wrench handle's length by adding a Crow's Foot, you then need to account for it mathematically.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/23/2019 12:16
Brian Swanick
(@thundermotive)
Estimable Member

Here's an option that while not pretty will get the job done. Use a double box end wrench and a hex bit socket the size of the opposite end . As Wobbly pointed out, if you keep it at 90 degrees you can avoid the math.

Posted : 11/23/2019 22:38
Rick Schroeder
(@red-horse)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you both for the reply. I was in touch with A/M Tony (listed in the Air Mail) and the lend a tool program has a tool for this task, it's in use now by another airhead. I may use the technique suggested by Wobbly and Thundermotive. The 10mm/12mm box ended wrench in the tool kit should work.
Again thanks again, Airheads rule.
redhorse

Posted : 11/25/2019 16:26

Advertisement

Scroll to top