Clear all

What do I do 1st?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Robert Pixley
(@1sgpix)
Topic starter

New to the forum. I'm picking up a '73 75/5 SWB soon. All I know about the bike is, it starts (with some coaxing), runs, shifts (clunkily) and stops. There is no known service history. It has oil seepage from underneath (oil pan?) but no exhaust leaks or other obvious signs of issues, other than cosmetic. There are less than 30K miles (or km?) on the clock, but the clock is suspiciously newer looking, so who knows the actual miles.

I want to do a mechanical restore. I'll have to budget my time so my question is, what is the priority for getting things right? As a novice who follows Youtube video instructions pretty well, what, if anything, should I have an expert look at, or should not attempt myself?

Thanks in advance. Excited about digging in to this project.

Pix

Posted : 04/28/2019 10:50
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Hi, Pix... and
Welcome aboard !!

This question gets asked so often we're building a complete answer Right Here !!

May take a week or more to fill it out. Ask your questions right here in your own thread.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/28/2019 20:30
Robert Pixley
(@1sgpix)
Topic starter

Cool. Thanks!!

Posted : 04/29/2019 00:53
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member

I was new to my 80/7 as of last year. 1st motorcycle actually. I have intermediate wrenching skills that started with a few 2 stroker mopeds.

What I found most helpful was a Clymer's manual. The first chapter or so gives you a great run down of what to do to basically tune it up and a few things to look for. Honestly one of my best resources. If you don't have one, I highly recommend picking one up. From there you can move to YouTube to see it in action.

Posted : 04/29/2019 09:12
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Cool. Thanks!!

Mr Guinea Pig,
So, is that thread helping or not ??? Too specific, or not specific enough ? Your feedback would be highly appreciated.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/02/2019 10:35
Robert Pixley
(@1sgpix)
Topic starter

The thread is a huge help! I really appreciate all the info. As I get deeper into the inspections and restoration, I may have more feedback, but this certainly helps feeling less overwhelmed by what's ahead.

Posted : 05/06/2019 15:12

Advertisement

Scroll to top