Clear all

February 2013 Airmail Feedback Wanted

43 Posts
31 Users
85 Likes
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member

@8973 Don't let the door hit you on the way out. As for me, I like the new magazine. Fresh and better information than previously shared. As for Oak's content...I'm over it. If he didn't want it to be shared in a digital format, thats a loss I can live with.

Posted : 01/31/2023 18:42
Brian Scott, Joe Hall, David Crawford and 2 people reacted
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member

@8973 I agree the cost seems excessive, but I wonder if that covers the cost of printing it. If so, how many were shipped out. I do love the new look an articles from the members and their rides. I really enjoyed the How to guide with a clear pictures and part numbers. 

To the BOD, keep it up, and great work!!

Posted : 01/31/2023 18:47
Doug Lambert
(@elpha)
Eminent Member

@emoralesr45 your posts definitely go against the club canons. Well done!

Posted : 01/31/2023 23:36
IAN SCHMEISSER
(@ian-schmeisser)

A positive future for the Airheads doesn't mean a complete break from the past, but it does mean that change over time is essential to our health. We elect people to run the day-to-day operations, and decisions are what they do. A club can not be run by committee. I am glad to see we're thinking about surveys. That's about as political as I get. 🤐 

The Airheads have an amazing gestalt, it's truly authentic and I think the changes in the club have maintained the OG love while presenting a fresh face to future new members. And new ways to reach them... 

From my professional experience, for what we spend, our new publishing effort is a phenomenal value. Now let's hope that our volunteer members can keep the good stuff coming... the in-the-know info and the incredible get-togethers, because that is the true value of Airheads.

One question at this point, on the inside back cover of the new Airmail, Canon # 3 was changed, "friendship over friction" was deleted. Was that intentional? That may be the most important part of all the Canons!

Ian

Go soothingly through the grease mud as there lurks the skid demon.

Posted : 02/01/2023 15:01
Brian Scott, Eric Morales, Joe Hall and 1 people reacted
IAN SCHMEISSER
(@ian-schmeisser)

The day I joined the Airheads... 

Go soothingly through the grease mud as there lurks the skid demon.

Posted : 02/01/2023 15:11
David Crawford
(@aralph1)

It could not have been much worse! I will read the next few issues but it looks like I will not be renewing my membership.

After reading the November/December and September/October issues of the RA magazine I had reached the same conclusion, I will not renew that membership either.

Posted : 02/01/2023 19:43
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member

@elpha Don't be a negative person about change and you wont get a negative response. Cheers Friend! 🍻 🍻

Posted : 02/01/2023 19:59
Doug Lambert
(@elpha)
Eminent Member

@emoralesr45 No negativity about change, just how it is being executed. That is an important distinction.

Posted : 02/01/2023 22:16
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member

@elpha Whats wrong with the execution of it? The magazine was outdated and had some random "my opinion" articles. While Oaks material was decent, it was outdated and left little to a person who's wanting to become an Airhead confident mechanic. Again he made his choice on not wanting to share his tribal knowledge in a world that is going more and more digital everyday. As my head commanding officer said "Accelerate change or lose".

One thing I will say the $2K price tag per issue seems a lot but I'm not in the publishing business, and I don't know if thats a fair price or a bad deal. With $80K in the account, we'll be okay this year but something to really consider.

Cheers Friend 🍺 🍺 

Posted : 02/02/2023 05:02
Leif Dickinson
(@13749)

I received my new issue of Airmail yesterday. I see an improved magazine which reflects a more modern look. I loved Oak's articles, but Oak has passed and we must move on. Oak did not want his material online and most club magazines are online today.

Change can be difficult but the biggest constant in life is change. Let's move on and continue to help each other keep our Airheaded dinosaurs on the road!

Posted : 02/02/2023 05:59
Celia Williams, Brian Scott, Eric Morales and 3 people reacted
Don Mitchell
(@9937)

Well I guess I'm just a Neanderthal as I didn't care for the "change" to the new format. And as one person asked why was one of the club canons, number 3, "changed". And for one comment on Oak's column being outdated these M/C have not been made for 25 years or so. Outdated?  My last issue on this last renewal is February 2024 so perhaps I will have a chance to vote on this "change". Of course this is just my opinion right or wrong. 

But as I stated in the beginning, I'm just a Neanderthal

Don Mitchell

Posted : 02/02/2023 08:30
Daren Dortin
(@bremoit)
Eminent Member

Well done on the new format and content.

Posted : 02/02/2023 12:28
Bret Williams
(@bret)
Estimable Member

@7577 Sounds like a personal vendetta problem rather than gross negligence. Shame on them if so.

Posted : 02/02/2023 17:38
Doug Lambert reacted
Tony Lehman
(@10968)

The new airmail has a feel of the Vintage BMW Clubs mag. This may be nice and for the real only benefit of membership (airmail has events. coverage of events articles of m/c interest, classifieds and now bright colored pictures). yes I know you get all the wonder of online unless they ask you not to read your mag. online of the brown outs.   I think the BoD apology is a joke. I realize many are slow to change especially Luddites like me. I have sent numerous emails to the BoD. Bob Koch, Dave Alquist and Tim Roberts have been the only ones that have responded.  The magazines suppose to hypnotize us to not see the destruction of the club. I was an airmarshal through some of the other bad times of the club and stepped down to allow new blood help run the club. Oh well at least I have the choice to renew my membership. The new mag does not bother me but the font is wrong for older eyes and I notice many ads were to small to read. If my company advertised and I ended up with an ad like Dave's I would demand a refund and consider never placing another ad. I noticed many things missing but there are all these new contributors. Where were they when B.Jan asked for articles and events.  I hope these same writers have as much enthusiasm in 30 years as B. Jan has had. Defense of B.Jan if people would have contributed he would have written less editorials and articles. So look forward to the next few years and see just how many of these writers are still contributing in 5 years much less 25 or 30.   The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, most of the time there is not nearly as much. 

Posted : 02/03/2023 21:38
Edward Adams
(@rtpilot)
Trusted Member

I agree with a previous observation. the "new improved $2000" Airmail is kind of -Meh-.  glossy (better be for $2K!!!)  but Oak's letters/advise is missing. That is a negative-period. Bravo for recognizing Brook. Although that could have been done for a lot less money.

What I do not like is the so called letters section where it was very obvious that the person picking the letters cherry-picked letters to make the whole situation seem much less contentious. If that is what the board thinks is being transparent, they need a dictionary.

Posted : 02/04/2023 18:35
Page 2 / 3

Advertisement

Scroll to top