Clear all

"Airhead capable shops" ?

10 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
richard k belew
(@richard-k-belew)
Topic starter

I ran across Mr. Google's pointer to a PDF version , and just joined Airheads.org figuring the real version would be on this site somewhere?  A couple of older posts mention it, but that's it?  wazzup?  - Rik

Posted : 04/19/2022 15:37
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

If this is what you found, this is what there is. 

https://www.airheads.org/airhead-friendly-shops/

The real value in membership in "Airheads" is the personal connections you will make with other members. If you are in IL, or other states, let me know what you are looking for and we/I will get you hooked up.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 04/19/2022 17:25
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

By the way, if you want to contact me, my email is;

woodnsteel1@gmail.com

and my phone number is;

309-251-0877

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 04/19/2022 17:40
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @8053

The real value in membership in "Airheads" is the personal connections you will make with other members. 

And that connection is best made by contacting your local Air Marshal and attending your state's next Tech Day to meet, share and learn.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/20/2022 04:07
richard k belew
(@richard-k-belew)
Topic starter

Thanks very much, James/@8053 , for producing and maintaining this list!  I'd hoped to find the .ods version of the file, the better to slice & dice for those near me (Bay Area, CA).  But I was able to grab the important lines out of the .pdf version, so no worries.  (In case any others have the same parochial Bay Area interests, attached is a little map of those nearby.)

I'm in the early, planning stages of restoring a '86 R80 that I've had since then, but which has not been driven much in the last years. I'm sure it'll give me occasion to engage with you all more.  Best, Rik

Posted : 04/21/2022 10:32
richard k belew
(@richard-k-belew)
Topic starter

Fine advise, @wobbly , thanks.  Newby questions I know, but how would I go about identifying my "local Air Marshall" (for Bay Area CA), and monthly Tech Day?

Posted : 04/21/2022 10:38
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @richard-k-belew

Fine advise, @wobbly , thanks.  Newby questions I know, but how would I go about identifying my "local Air Marshall" (for Bay Area CA), and monthly Tech Day?

You go to the very top of your screen and pull down the "Contact Us" menu. Then select "Airmarshals" and scroll through until you come to Southern CA.

?

Posted : 04/22/2022 04:17
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Just to be clear, the list of airhead friendly shops IS NOT my handiwork. I simply did a copy/paste from another page of this website.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 04/24/2022 07:59
paul peterson
(@r80pete)
Eminent Member

I see that a listed shop I went to a few years back was "friendly", but after they took apart my engine for a diagnosis and I asked how much experience they had replacing bearings, they told me they would not continue work on the bike, and I was forced to hire a tow truck to get the bike and boxes of engine parts back to my house.  The engine had burned up during my short ride home after they did some electrical work and changed the oil and filter ( I did not ask them to change the oil and filter!). They were friendly in that they picked up the bike, took it to their shop, then tore apart the engine.

Posted : 06/23/2022 15:34
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @r80pete

I see that a listed shop I went to a few years back was "friendly", but after they took apart my engine for a diagnosis and I asked how much experience they had replacing bearings, they told me they would not continue work on the bike, and I was forced to hire a tow truck to get the bike and boxes of engine parts back to my house.  The engine had burned up during my short ride home after they did some electrical work and changed the oil and filter ( I did not ask them to change the oil and filter!). They were friendly in that they picked up the bike, took it to their shop, then tore apart the engine.

A mechanic that was 25 the last year they made an Airhead would be 52 years old today. So if you walk into an "Airhead shop" and you're not seeing anyone but "20 somethings", then that's your first sign to get the heck out of there. The second thing you could do is interview the mechanic. Ask them to tell you all about the "$2000 o-ring" and all the implications thereof. Just because someone watched a couple of Keith Harris videos on YouTube doesn't make them an Airhead mechanic. The third thing is to look around the shop for other customer bikes, if all you see is Harleys, Hondas and Oil Heads then you're in the wrong shop. The forth thing you could do is ask to see their bike... if it's not an Airhead, then you should proabably leave.

ALL Airheads are now "Classic vehicles" and some are even "Vintage vehicles". You wouldn't take your grandfather's Model T to the Ford dealership and expect anything good to happen. It's EXACTLY the same thing. And this is why I always say you're better off to do it yourself. Either take the time to ask questions, learn the procedure, buy the tools and be able to do it yourself... or you're going to pay a heavy price.

The idea that you can "afford" good Airhead care (especially if you don't live near a major city) only applies to Jay Leno. 

Just my 2 cents.

Posted : 06/24/2022 05:23

Advertisement

Scroll to top