Clear all

Classifieds Tire Kickers - Harrumph!

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
George Baker
(@14613)
Topic starter

I'm just venting here - no names, just a complaint to the ether. From time to time I utilize the Airheads.org Classifieds option to advertise parts for sale. I have a set of bags currently advertised on the website. I'm not asking an outrageous sum, actually for much less than I originally paid, and still in very good condition. Lo and behold I received an email from someone relatively local saying this: "I will buy your bags". Ok, so we have a deal. That's just great. Being a compatriot Airhead I automatically assumed this fellow was not approaching me as a novice, that his decision was made based on sound knowledge and reasonable thinking. We discussed timing for a meet up via text messages. This will be great. An easy sale to a knowledgeable person, and I wouldn't have to ship.

This fellow shows up early - he's waiting for me at my house, for how long I don't know, but now I'm a little wary. We look at the bags together. He opens them. He closes them. He turns them over and starts to make weird noises. 10 minutes goes by - I'm wondering whether he's all there or not. 15 minutes goes by -
I have other things to do. I'm not a shoe salesman. He asks if the small scratches on the bags are severe. What? I tell him the bags have worked fine for me for 6 or 7 years, and they would probably work fine for him too. I give him a little verbal shove - I need to move along. Then he asks me for a discount...... I remind him of his email committment. The bags are cheap by comparison with recent sales. He looks dazed. He asks if I have other Airhead parts for sale. I'm running out of patience now. As politely as possible I inform him it's time for him to leave - I've been too courteous. I'm done suffering fools gladly.

This fellow just traveled 40 miles up the 405, through some of the worst traffic in the USA, to waste my time. Just tells you that some Airheads are truly......now wait for it......................airheads.

Posted : 04/17/2017 18:51
Bret Williams
(@bret)
Estimable Member

Before he retired a friend had a small bike shop with a showroom he did not need. A fellow approached him about displaying a bike he had for sale on e bay. Rich agreed and he was off to filling a niche.

He offered a service to hold, display, and ship bikes for people. When the bike sold and he got his modest commission be crated it up and the shipper picked up. There is a small independent shop a mile from me that does the same.

Posted : 04/17/2017 21:44
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I got the opposite issue. A local guy is advertising BMW parts on CL. I've emailed him 3 times now over the course of 2 months. He finally called. Said he was preparing for a knee operation and wasn't seeing anyone, but he'd reserve the Corbin seat we had discussed. No photos offered. Add on another 2 weeks now.

Knee operation I understand. But why run the ad for 60+ days and not see anyone ? On the phone he sounds like a sane and fairly knowledgeable airhead type guy.

I don't get it.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/19/2017 16:21

Advertisement

Scroll to top