Clear all

crashed my beautiful rt

7 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
steve giannotti
(@jerseybeemer)
Topic starter

I can't believe that this happened,  I've been riding for over 50 years and making a stupid mistake by forgetting to retract the side and causing me to high side damaging the left side fairing of a pristine 95 rt and other small damage not to mention 6 broken ribs and broken clavicle. The person that I inherited the bike from used to forget the stand all the time but I Was there to remind him. Anyone else have issues with this

Posted : 09/13/2020 08:39
Perry Gilsenan
(@4713)

So sorry to hear this Steve.

Im currently restoring a 94 R100LT which is an Oz and UK version if the RT with topbox and comfort seat

Hope you and the bike recover well

Posted : 09/13/2020 17:06
steve giannotti
(@jerseybeemer)
Topic starter

Thanks

Posted : 09/13/2020 17:25
Richard W
(@wobbly)

So sorry to hear this too, Steve.

I am currently restoring a vintage 1950 clavicle myself.  ? 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/14/2020 12:02
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

I have a ‘78 (was R100RS originally) that had the ever tricky self folding side stand. Being rather short legged, that thing caused a number of mishaps whilst trying to deploy and plant the foot on the ground. I finally converted to a Browns side stand, but then was concerned about leaving it deployed accidentally. In an attempt to avoid that, I mounted a little bitty switch to the stand that closes contact when the stand is not fully retracted. That switch is wired parallel to the (also popular) “Brake Failure” switch at the front master cylinder. So, if my stand is not retracted, the bright red “Brake Failure” idiot light does it’s best to get my attention. 

Posted : 09/15/2020 11:54
steve giannotti
(@jerseybeemer)
Topic starter

@wobbly

mine's a 1953 model with previous damage from 40 years ago. that first one healed with no side effects, I hope mine and yours do the same

Posted : 09/15/2020 14:25
steve giannotti
(@jerseybeemer)
Topic starter

@4949

I thought about installing a switch and wiring it to the kill switch circuit, now that the bike will be apart for repair I will defintly try to do the upgrade

Posted : 09/15/2020 14:28

Advertisement

Scroll to top