First Post

10 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
Bob Thomas
(@bob-thomas)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi All, been through three airheads and now on my fourth,  R65LS, R65, R100RT and now R100S (78).  Working on getting it back in great shape for Post Covid riding days next summer.  Got Murph in Eugene doing a top end (side end?) job on it, then I have several electrical isses to sort out.

Bob

Bob

Posted : 10/31/2020 16:36
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome Aboard !

99% of the work it takes to get an Airhead back on the road can be done by the owner. This is really to your advantage because it involves a great deal of time to simply fiddle and sort. If you pay your mechanic to do all this... 1) you'll end up in the poor house, and 2) you won't know where to fiddle when it does the same thing again 200 miles from home.

And believe me, when you get your lady running, 35 mile trips just won't cut the mustard any more. You'll be turning in all day 300 mile rides while grinning ear to ear.

All the common "back on the road" repairs are shown RIGHT HERE

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/26/2020 14:33
Bob Thomas
(@bob-thomas)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have plenty of touching even after Murph gets done.  Electrical is all messed up from some ham fist.  Spline lube and sorting out brakes.  no need to worry about me getting to know this one, just better to have a pro do the top ends.  I already rebuild carbs so it should purr nicely.

Bob

Posted : 11/28/2020 10:51
Gregory Popovich
(@gpopovichcastlerockwinery-com)
Estimable Member

Welcome, I have same bike - it's fantastic. I tried to attach photo - don't know if it worked/not?

Posted : 11/28/2020 13:58
James Bussell
(@10385)
Trusted Member

@gpopovichcastlerockwinery-com

It came through...I like that smoke red...is that original paint?

Posted : 11/29/2020 09:54
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member

@10385 I think it's be repainted by someone very very good. I bought it several months ago from San Diego BMW - and it was restored by some mystery man ex local retired top engineer - who does a bike every couple of years & sells on consignment. I didn't get any receipts except that the BMW dealer had done a complete inspection and service. Everything's original - except steel brake lines, Brown side stand & Gustafson windshield.  I have original windshield but the Gustafson is much better & I love Brown side stands (if it didn't come with one I would have added it as I did on my r75/5)  

Posted : 11/29/2020 12:20
James Bussell
(@10385)
Trusted Member

@gpopovichcastlerockwinery-com

Why do you like the Brown side stand? (not sure I'm familiar with it)

Posted : 11/30/2020 09:45
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member

@10385 Very sturdy & stays down until you put it up = no spring return.

Posted : 11/30/2020 10:26
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member
Richard W
(@wobbly)

It's that anti-instant return feature that most people like about the Brown. The stock side stand is excellent in all ways, but the auto-retract "feature" just drives some people crazy. Forgetful me, I think the feature is really appealing. But I can see if you move your bike a lot around the shop, then it could get to be a PIA.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/01/2020 07:43

Advertisement

Scroll to top