Clear all

Hills, Thrills, Spills & Doctor Bills

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

I wasn't upset to have been carted to the ER. That is, until they had to cut off my Airhead shirt.

50 years without a motorcycle accident. 70 years without a broken bone. My winning streak ended Sat, Aug 1 in Toxaway, NC riding to get a BBQ sandwich.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/09/2020 02:15
Gregory Popovich
(@gpopovichcastlerockwinery-com)
Estimable Member

Glad your injuries were limited to your shoulder. That's a bummer thou! What happened? How's your bike? Any new pearls of wisdom to share? Having just returned from riding both my bikes -- I think people are more distracted than ever? I had a guy in a lowered rice rocket (cage) pull out of gas station 30 mins ago and didn't even look - missed me by twenty feet.

Posted : 08/09/2020 22:15
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

Sand at the crest of a hill. Both tires lost traction at the same time. I never saw it. It was over in 1 second.

Bike is back the condition I purchased it in, 3 months ago. Fairing is busted, at least 1 fork stanchion bent, probably some other items.

Posted : 08/09/2020 22:24
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member

Not to rub salt in the wound - but did you have on a jacket with shoulder protection? At least you didn't High Side?

Posted : 08/10/2020 00:14
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member

I've been riding mini bikes - motorcycles - my whole life - I also used to be a very competitive road bike cyclist - I just turned 61 a few days ago - I've never seen more dangerous times - between the texting, phones, navigation systems, road rage, cabin fervor, etc, etc it's nuts out there.

Posted : 08/10/2020 00:35
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

Not to rub salt in the wound - but did you have on a jacket with shoulder protection?

It was forecast to be in the high 80's with an equal amount of humidity. I had on a Joe Rocket mesh jacket with armored shoulders, elbows, and back. Thick blue jeans, over-the-ankle tactical boots, leather gloves, and a full-face Schuberth S2. A long-sleeve nylon sports shirt and an Airhead T-shirt.

All that seems to have worked well; I have only coin-sized only boo-boos on my elbows, wrists and knees.

Posted : 08/10/2020 08:34
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member

That's almost exactly what I wear - glad you had the good sense to be all geared-up - even in nasty hot humid weather. Just think if you were in shorts and flip flops- which I see people riding in around here? You'd probably be in the burn ward of your local hospital.

Posted : 08/10/2020 10:22
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member

BTW, if you need to replace your helmet I just bought the Schuberth C4 Pro & it' seems great (although, I've only worn it 4 times).

Posted : 08/10/2020 12:45
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

Thanks on the helmet offer, but I've taken my last ride. There's so much metal in my shoulder that next time I fall off I'll be calling a welder !! 😛

[img] [/img]

Posted : 08/11/2020 15:30
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member

Hey sir,

We're just all glad you are okay now. Its unfortunate about the bike but it's fixable. BTW, I love the wheel colors on it! I'm also glad you had riding gear! I see too many people here in Oklahoma with cut off sleeve shirts and only sunglasses. Blows my mind. As you know I'm in the military, and if if anything were to happen its a line of duty determination as the wether they'll pay for the medical bill or not. Get well sir.

V/R
Eric

Posted : 08/11/2020 21:19
Gregory Popovich
Estimable Member

How fast were you going when you went down? Hey Evel Knievel had more metal than you and he still rode. (okay, bad example:)

Posted : 08/11/2020 21:34
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

How fast were you going when you went down?

50, maybe 55 tops. Not sure because I was taught to keep my eyes glued to the road and not the gauges.

The road is a twisty, black-top state highway through a National Forest. Excellent road surface because trucks don't use the route. I've ridden that road maybe 20 times, enough to be very familiar. But not to know about the daily changes. 

Posted : 08/12/2020 06:00

Advertisement

Scroll to top