Clear all

New guy here

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
David Meadows
(@16457)
Topic starter

Thought I'd post a quick note. My brother was a member here. He owned a 1980 R-65. He lived in Berea OH. He died 2 years ago and his bike sat in his unheated, unlocked, windows open wood garage for 2 years with the keys in the ignition and a half tank of gas with a battery that still held a charge. After 2 years of uncertainty, I was able to legally gain ownership of it exactly 2 years to the day he died. I drained the tank and float bowls, put some fresh fuel and sea foam in it all the while having a trickle charge on it, turned the key with the choke off, hit the starter for a few moments and let it crank, hit the choke, turned on the fuel tap and the thing started right up. I remember him talking of this group, so it was a natural for me to contact it and become a member to keep it all in the family. I own 5 other bikes that include a '79 Triumph and an '82 KZ550A, my primary bike is a 2001 Kawasaki Concours that many mistaken for a BMW! I cleaned the R-65 up, he kept it mechanically very well, its got 87,000 miles on it and since getting it I've put on about 300 miles, probably the most miles in that short a time in many years as he did not ride all that much in his last years. I'm looking forward to picking some of your brains here and searching the forum for "how to" ideas and tricks to keep this bike in good shape since I do all my own work on my bikes.

Posted : 09/12/2018 15:23
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome Aboard !

Very sorry for your loss.
Sounds like you're already getting happy with your new acquisition !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/12/2018 21:36
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

Welcome to the forum. A man who does his own work will feel at home here.

Bob

Posted : 09/13/2018 13:30
David Meadows
(@16457)
Topic starter

Thanks, my first project will be what sounds like a bad front wheel bearing making an occasional loud awful noise and really affecting the directional stability/ gyroscopic effect of the bike, it was weird. Not brakes as it happened when the brakes were off. Getting a shop manual.

Posted : 09/18/2018 13:13
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Yes, please read the shop manual before attempting this work. You may need a heat gun or other special tools.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/18/2018 17:41

Advertisement

Scroll to top