9 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
Howard Stender
(@howard-stender)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Greetings!  

Looking forward to meeting other riders here.  I’ve been wrenching on airheads for sometime in my cycle service shop, so I figured it’s time I join.  Unfortunately, I don’t own one, but do have a 1988 K75.  It that an unmentionable here?  I did recently finish a large amount of work on a 76 R90/6.  And looks like I’ll be doing a frame-off restoration on a 71 R60/5.  I really love working on these airheads.  Maybe someday I’ll have my own.

I live near Lake Michigan, close to Green Bay, WI.  If there are any members nearby, I’d enjoy hearing from you, maybe taking a ride together next season.

Posted : 10/29/2021 06:21
John Griffin reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome Aboard !

First thing you'll want to do is contact your local Airhead Club director, what we call an "Air Marshal". Get on his contact list so your can go to the next Tech Day. At the Tech Day you'll make some new local Airhead friends and they'll be working on some bikes. You can get a good taste of what's involved and all the local inside knowledge about who keeps the tools, which store has the best parts availability in your locale, etc.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 10/30/2021 17:35
Howard Stender
(@howard-stender)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

@wobbly Thank you!  But I don’t see any air Marshall listed for WIsconsin.

Posted : 11/04/2021 02:46
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Then look for nearby states. The idea is to congregate and prepare your bike ready for the Eastern and Western Airhead reunions.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/04/2021 12:20
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

Try randybeemer@comcast dot net

Posted : 11/05/2021 10:13
John Griffin
(@john-griffin)

Hey Howard,

Welcome (from another Airhead Newby)

(Beautiful area you live in! I once enjoyed Cedarburg, WI - also close to the Lake. Fond memories of Door County visits. 

Looking forward to hearing more about your frame-off this winter)

j

Posted : 12/11/2021 08:41
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

As shown in a previous post, your Wisconsin Airmarshal is Randy Boris. He is in Manitowoc.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 12/11/2021 10:49
Howard Stender
(@howard-stender)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

@john-griffin 

Thanks for your reply.  Regarding the frame off restoration, my customer has changed the scope of work. Engine is staying in the frame.  So far, I’ve completely rebuilt both carbs, type 53 models, of course.  I did a pair of CV models a couple months ago on an R90/6.  These /5 carbs were quite gunked up.  I’ve pulled the right cylinder to, at least, replace pushrod tubes, but discovered we need to hone and re-ring the cylinder.  So, that’s what Im working on now. Interesting that the engine has roughly 56,000 miles on it, but cylinder wear was less than .0002” throughout.  Pistons had sat in one spot for over 10 years and honing and new rings are in order.  

im also working on a 1988 K75.  Just put a new fuel pump & filter in the tank.  More to go on that one, too.

Posted : 01/04/2022 10:49
Howard Stender
(@howard-stender)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

@john-griffin 

Hows things going in Cedarburg?    Just thought I’d mention that you can sort of follow my /5 project by going to my website here: stendermotorcycleservice.com.  Once there, in upper left corner are 3 small menu lines.  Click on those lines, then click on “blog”. I show pics and give an account of what’s going on.  

Posted : 01/17/2022 18:06

Advertisement

Scroll to top