8 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
Michael Benko
(@18672)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey all-

Excited to be here. I wanted to make an early intro and hopefully glean some insight from the good airfolks. I bought a 1989 r100rs with ural sidecar a few weeks ago site unseen in San Francisco. Rebuilt the carbs at airhead adventures. A friend and I drove it to Boulder Colorado where it's currently parked. I live in Philadelphia. The plan is to fly back out to Colorado and finish the trip in mid-late September over a few weeks.

Currently seeking:

- riding buddies or good camping spots between Boulder and Phila. Will likely take a central/southern route (Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennesee, West/Virgina, North Carolina, Maryland, Philly). Trying to hit about 300 mi/day I think... planning for this is still in  very early phases. I know the rig goes about 90mi/2 hours and I want to get a real early start each riding day. Will need to 'get work done' on some wifi for four weekdays during the two total weeks.

- Wrenchingin buddy in Boulder, Co or nearby who can help me get her ready for the second leg. I'll post a ride report from the first leg at a later time... but some things happened. What certifiably needs to happen is: reattach exhaust shield (need sheet metal screws or rivet gun), oil/filter change, valve adjustment, carb balance, front brake cleaning (it's a billet 6). What I'd like to happen in addition to that is: rear brake bleed, leaky carb address (seems to be coming from the small hole in the bottom of the float bowl), and quick repair of pannier.

After buying the bike, I had an awesome experience at Airhead Adventures rebuilding the carbs with a few guys that were there. Met the Airmarhsal for the area who had stopped in. By the time we'd done I wanted very badly just to keep hanging out and wrenching. I got a few of the Airmail magazines and am ecstatic that the community is so alive and well throughout the USA. I'm fortunate to live near-ish to the Rubber Chicken garage. Hoping to be here a while.

-Mike

Posted : 07/28/2023 10:18
Joe Hall reacted
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Welcome Michael. Quite the epic trip you have planned. That is a good looking rig you have there. 

You might be well advised to have phone contact information recorded for the Airmarshals in the states you will be traveling through. Airmarshals should be able put you in touch with nearby members who can lend assistance if need be.

This post was modified 9 months ago by James Strickland

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 08/01/2023 11:29
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome !

If you volunteer to help fellow Airhead owners, then the Airhead membership booklet will be sent to you. This annual publication lists all the members, phone numbers, tools, accommodations, etc that you would need on such a trip. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/02/2023 04:47
Michael Benko
(@18672)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

@wobbly That sounds like exactly what I'd like! I would be eager to offer accomodation in the city of brotherly love. Unfortunately only have so much to offer in the ways of mechanical prowess, however would be available to run parts out etc if anyones nearby in a jam.

How do I get in the booklet? Is there a specific spot in this forum that reflects this type of aide request?

Posted : 08/16/2023 14:16
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

Sounds like a fun trip on a fun looking bike! There are plenty of good airhead folks you should be able to connect with along the way.

I have a fly and ride planned from Maryland to Newfoundland that I might be able to make happen in the fall too.

Posted : 08/16/2023 16:35
Michael Benko
(@18672)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

@16813 Mike- Keep me posted and ride safe!

Posted : 09/05/2023 09:28
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @18672

How do I get in the booklet? Is there a specific spot in this forum that reflects this type of aide request?

I believe it's the Member Directory which is available on-line via the Community menu at the top of this page. In the past, this was published once a year. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/06/2023 04:26
Michael Benko
(@18672)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey all! Just wanted to follow up and say the tour went ok, but ended in Asheville (final destination was Philadelphia pa) due to some troubles. No big deal. Thank you to everyone!!! Right now feeling like I'll be an airhead for life.

Posted : 10/17/2023 06:35

Advertisement

Scroll to top