Clear all

New to ASC and my new to me R80RT

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Raymond Klinger
(@18404)
Topic starter

Hello everyone. Just want to say hi and thanks for all the great info on this site. I recently joined because I purchased a one owner 1986 R80RT, 23,000 miles on it. The bike has the 1000cc upgrade and a progressive shock. Based on what I have read here and on Snowbum's website (thank you), I have done the following: removed and reinstalled the transmission for the spline lube, replaced the clutch plate, installed new neutral switch, changed all drive fluids, replaced the tires, cleaned the carbs and installed carb kits, rebuilt front brake calipers, replaced master cylinder and brake line, adjusted valves, checked and cleaned rear brakes, deoxit all wire terminals, cleaned solid alternator mounts, new fuel lines and petcocks. Still on my to do list before riding season - replace fork fluid, grease steering head. I saw a great article here on cleaning and regreasing the starter, so that too.

What else should I look at? The rear drive feels tight with no play.

Thanks so much,

Raymond

Posted : 02/07/2023 18:58
Joe Hall reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome Aboard !

Beautiful looking bike ! In no time at all it will be your favorite ride.

• All OEM grease has a tendency to oxidize and coagulate, that's why the starter 'rebuild' is so important. The same grease is in the steering head and wheel bearings too, so if steering seems "tight" you might want to looking that. The root issue is that the OEM greases were not synthetic. So pay attention when buying replacement grease.

• I might also suggest you contact your local Air Marshal. Your state's Airhead rep will have called meetings and Tech Days where you'll pick up more tips and meet more Airhead riders. 

• Pay special attention to the o-ring and metal washer found within the oil filter housing. Snowbum calls it the "$2000 o-ring". It's the one bit of kit on the Airhead engine that is not straightforward and intuitively obvious. 

• While changing the oil filter, it's also a good idea to check the oil by-pass plunger spring. The springs are bad to break and all the engine oil flow will then by-pass (going through) the oil filter. You can test the spring action with a long wire. The ball/spring is either in tact and springy, or it's broken. 

All the best.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/08/2023 06:19
Raymond Klinger
(@18404)
Topic starter

Thanks for the advice, I will check out all those items. Do you have a preference on a synthetic grease for the starter and steering bearings? I read several articles on the oil filter washer and shim, think I have my head wrapped around it (had to read it 3 times LOL)

Best, Ray

Posted : 02/24/2023 18:20
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Any modern synthetic grease will do. Something very thin so that it's easy to turn the starter motor over. 

This post was modified 1 year ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/25/2023 05:35
William Cadmus
(@william-cadmus)

Sounds like you're right in the thick of things!  I just got my /6 air box back on... That was not intuitive! I agree that a NH would be great.  I'm down near Keene and will be ready as soon as the mud gets hard...

Posted : 02/26/2023 07:21

Advertisement

Scroll to top