RS mirror mod

5 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Dan Farrimond
(@dan-farrimond)
New Member Customer
Topic starter

Had more shoulders showing in my '93 RS mirrors than vehicles, so modification in order. Purchased one left BMW mirror mount to experiment with, then two mirrors, a 10mm die and tap. Stable and very functional at 85 mph test. Would need only a replacement right mount if one would want it stock again. 

Posted : 12/20/2021 10:45
Joe Hall reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have been riding with that exact mod for several years now. It does work very nicely.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/21/2021 07:19
Joe Hall
(@joe-hall)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @dan-farrimond

Had more shoulders showing in my '93 RS mirrors than vehicles, so modification in order. Purchased one left BMW mirror mount to experiment with, then two mirrors, a 10mm die and tap. Stable and very functional at 85 mph test. Would need only a replacement right mount if one would want it stock again. 

I'd really like to install these mirrors on my 95 R100RT. Do you have part numbers for the mirrors you used? Thanks Much

Posted : 01/17/2022 22:39
Dan Farrimond
(@dan-farrimond)
New Member Customer
Topic starter

@joe-hall

Here's the mirrors I used.  I cut the longer side of stem down and rethreaded it to length I wanted.  I ground down a 10 mm nut to fit in bracket bottom however, the mounting threads I cut seem to hold mirror well, even without the nut, especially with the stems lock adjustment.  Very versatile mirrors as they can be mounted on either end of stem.  Good luck!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bike-master-mini-mirror

Posted : 01/18/2022 07:22
Joe Hall reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

This is a great mod. The view to the rear is 100% improved and these low rise black mirrors do the trick without completely ruining the original "look".

However, the mod does require drilling out the stock mirror mounts. This sort of blocks the return to stock mirrors if you change your mind, or when you need to sell the bike. What I suggest you do is hunt up another set of RS mirror mounts just in case.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/01/2022 16:41

Advertisement

Scroll to top