Long time rider, 1st BMW

10 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
Leslie Criess
(@leslie-criess)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter

Greetings, I'm Les. Have ridden for the last 58 years or so, many Japanese bikes with a few Brit-Bikes. Road races for 12 years with Honda 500 Interceptors and CBR600's. I also work service crew for off-road rally cars for 5 years or so.I spent 12 years in the Navy as a Submarine SonarTech. I recently acquired my 1st BMW, a '73 R75/5 SWB model. LOVE the bike & looking forward to learning valuable "AirHead" info here.

Posted : 12/10/2021 17:24
John Ehrhart
(@rider17)
Trusted Member

I, too raced a 500 and then endurance-raced a CBR. I think you'll find these a little more relaxing--and far easier to work on than those carbs deep in the heart of the Interceptor V!!

Welcome!

Posted : 12/10/2021 18:53
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome Aboard !

First thing you'll want to do is contact your local Airhead Club director, what we call an "Air Marshal". Get on his contact list so your can go to the next Tech Day. At the Tech Day you'll make some new local Airhead friends and they'll be working on some bikes. You can get a good taste of what's involved and all the local inside knowledge about who keeps the tools, which store has the best parts availability in your locale, etc.

Like a lot of Airheads, your bike sat for a long while. The following article contains a list of the top 80% of the trouble spots that repeatedly develop during storage. If you have any questions, we're always here to help...

https://www.airheads.org/community/wrenching/new-owner-primer-tips-to-get-your-airhead-back-on-the-road/

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/10/2021 22:35
John Griffin
(@john-griffin)

Greetings Les!

Welcome from another airhead newby, longtime motorcyclist, ex-SCCA play racer. 

Be fun to compare notes as we both embark upon the Airhead Secret Handshake learning process. Richard's "Airhead Refurb" article is priceless.

My old RT is a recent impulse purchase - non running and rough as a cob. Mechanical sympathy overcame common sense, as usual. But, its pretty much original, and definitely needs me...

I'll post pics when I figure out how

Posted : 12/11/2021 07:37
Leslie Criess
(@leslie-criess)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter

Thanx all. I agree John re-installing the carbs on the Interceptor was an interesting proposition, as wsas was removing the right rear exhaust header. We also endurance races CBRs and FZR400s. Really enjoyed those runs!!

Posted : 12/11/2021 09:52
Leslie Criess
(@leslie-criess)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter

Here's a pic of the new ride.

Posted : 12/14/2021 11:56
John Ehrhart reacted
Leslie Criess
(@leslie-criess)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter

Since that pic was taken I've replaced the touring seat with a stock seat and added new stainless side covers. New tires are in the works..

Posted : 12/14/2021 11:59
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Very nice !!

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/14/2021 17:52
Leslie Criess
(@leslie-criess)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter

Thanx!

Posted : 12/15/2021 08:29
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

Les

Welcome to the airhead world. Looks like a good start, but beware these things can be addictive-some folks end up owning seveal.

Bob

Posted : 12/15/2021 13:33

Advertisement

Scroll to top