Startron

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Craig Willson
(@humble-bub)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

During the 2020 riding season I spent considerable time obsessing to get my ‘91 R100RT running perfectly. I was satisfied with my efforts and when I parked the bike for the long dark Winter it was running perfectly. I was delighted that my dust off rides this Spring confirmed it was still perfect. Passing through our local Canadian Tire store I noticed Startron additive and remembered Wobbly has recommended this in multiple posts. I picked up a bottle on the next fill up I added a table spoon (ish) to the tank. 

Within 50 KM the improvement was noticeable. Idle was smoother, acceleration was better, overall smoothness improved and cold starting was almost like starting a warm bike. I generally avoid additives as I have found most to be little more than snake oil. However with the ‘Wobbly recommended’ stamp on this one I decided to try it. I am glad I did and will continue to use it. 

Posted : 05/29/2021 02:58
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Very glad you're pleased, but I think your improved response within 50kM was more than likely due mainly to filling up with fresh fuel along the way. However, StarTron will work to clear out any residue left from your winter storage. StarTron can also help to mitigate issues if you're only able to ride (say for instance) once every 3-5 weeks. 

However, if you know you're planning to store a bike (like annual winter storage), then the best plan is to not experiment. Go ahead and drain the tank and carbs beforehand. Ethanol fuel left sitting static for several months is the most evil stuff, second only to Covid-19.

Based on my experience, I think you are one VERY lucky Airhead owner.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/30/2021 19:12
Craig Willson
(@humble-bub)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

@wobbly I totally agree on draining fuel. It has become second nature with all my gas powered engines. I always start the season with a gallon of fresh fuel from a local outlet which gets me to the outlet for fuel. 

Climate change has added some challenges. Winters on our little island used to be consistently cold. Now temperatures fluctuate widely. Below freezing is often followed by above freezing which encourages condensation. My shop is only heated when I am in it adding to condensation. Thus once drained and aired I bring the tank in the house where temps are maintained. 

Craig 

Posted : 05/31/2021 02:47
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Craig -

I can fully appreciate your situation. I realize that my process has been designed for my local climate and situation. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to these questions. However, there are a few constants...

• Temperature of the fuel has nothing to do with the ability to start or the ability to resist gasoline and ethanol separation. Therefore, the only thing done by bringing the fuel tank into the home is risk a house fire. Please don't do that.
  • If you are unsure when your next ride will be, then an effective way to protect your Bings is to simply remove the float bowls. That is 100% effective and requires no tools. And best of all, reversing it for a quick ride takes mere seconds.
  • In my shop there is one large container which gets taken to the gas station. By dosing that "main container" the StarTron works its way into all my lawn equipment, thereby giving all those engines the same protection and cleaning that the Airhead gets.

"The Devil is in the details", as they say. And you seem to have those firmly in hand. No carb issues are headed your way !

All the best my friend.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/31/2021 05:47

Advertisement

Scroll to top