Shop cooling fan

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Mark Creek
(@mark-creek)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Anyone use a fan to cool their head while adjusting carbs? I know we can go it quickly but for those times we need to spend a bit more time I’f like a fan. Any thoughts on how much fan I need to leave the bike running without overheating? Will my daughters bedroom box fan work or do I need an industrial 3,800 cfm monster? Thanks 

Posted : 05/16/2021 19:10
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have used both a box fan and the blower from an old furnace. Obviously, the blower moves more air, but I'm inclined to think it's not really any better. The only real issue with the common box fan is that they tend to tumble over at the least opportune moment, so make sure it's got some solid support on the fan's intake side before beginning. 

This is considering that the whole job takes less than 10 minutes. The best way to insure this is to connect your balance indicating device before starting the engine. Have your medium and small screwdrivers ready, as well as your 10mm open-end for the cable adjustment.

I use an electronic instrument that requires connection to a battery, so that takes some doing. But with all your prep work done, the job will go really fast and the fan becomes more "insurance" than shop tool. 

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/18/2021 12:23
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

Down here in the Rio Grande Valley, a 35 mph breeze is not unusual. I just gotta pick the right day and point the bike southeast. 

Posted : 05/18/2021 17:20
Mark Creek
(@mark-creek)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

@4949 so could you in theory leave it running and it would not overheat?

mark 

Posted : 05/19/2021 14:21
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @mark-creek

@4949 so could you in theory leave it running and it would not overheat?

Leave it running how long ? It would depend heavily upon the ambient temperature. Thermal rise is additive. If a running engine rises (say) 105°F, then with 40° air the final temp will be 145°. If your ambient air is 85°, then your final temp will be 190°.

But even if it's 85°F in your shop and the machine is already warmed up and blazing hot, adding a fan is simply going to keep it out of trouble for the ~10 minutes it takes to do a full carb adjustment. If you're conscientious, have a box fan on High setting, sitting very close to the front wheel, and slightly tilted back to blow on the exhaust side of the cylinders.... then you'll be OK. Many shops do this with no fan. My theory is that some moving air has got to be better than none !

You can't adjust the carbs without the engine running. So maybe I don't understand your question, but the engine would be running the entire time. And not all of it would be idle, because you'd be up around 1800 RPM to adjust the cables. When you finish, you'd turn the engine OFF (of course) and allow the fan to keep running for several minutes. 

Drive on by and I'll have your bike done before you can take off your jacket. I do this all the time, and I haven't lost one yet ! 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/19/2021 15:46
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

@mark-creek I’m kinda half kidding. Even in a stiff breeze I wouldn’t let it run more than 10 minutes. I can also tell when the engine is getting too hot. It gets mushy. Doesn’t throttle up and down crisply. 

My previous 77 R60/7 was prone to overheat under stressful conditions. My current 78 R100, which has been fitted with Nikasil jugs, is very tolerant of stressful conditions. 

Posted : 05/19/2021 19:16

Advertisement

Scroll to top