Clear all

Servicing/Repair of a 1992 R100GS Ignition/Light Switch

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Gerald Xavier
(@13755)
Topic starter

I'm having intermittent lighting issues and believe I've narrowed it down to the lighting contacts on the ignition switch.  This switch is no longer being made and I have yet to locate a new or used replacement.  Does anyone have any experience in servicing the contacts/mechanism in this switch?    Also, I'm not finding any information on how to pull the switch apart, so guidance/tips would be appreciated. 

Thx

Posted : 05/14/2022 21:53
Gerald Xavier
(@13755)
Topic starter

Continued troubleshooting the electrical/lighting problem and after isolating the ignition switch confirmed that it was operating properly.  May have traced the problem back to the load shedding relay --- after swopping it with the matching horn relay the lighting/instrument display in the run position came back on.  Need to do a check ride to confirm all of this.    BTW ... an ADV Rider post said you could find a replacement relay at NAPA under part number AR 634.  That part number is obsolete and searching for a similar function and pin configuration didn't turn up anything (checked AutoZone and Federated as well).  

Posted : 05/29/2022 11:43
David Hulse
(@6709)

I have a 1991 R100GSPD that is having similar issues. Key in on position only provides voltage to one of the two contacts and no lights on the dash. I have removed and disassembled with no luck fixing the problem. Removal was easy just removing the trim ring off straight up with a small screwdriver or even a fingernail. Switch went out the bottom by pushing in 2 tabs. Screw in the side covered by red paint allowed separation of the key section from the switch section. After reassembly there is no change and I cannot find a replacement either. Has anyone successfully repaired the switch of the ignition switch or found a suitable replacement?

Posted : 08/05/2022 12:10

Advertisement

Scroll to top