Clear all

Shifting problem

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Stew Neal
(@17840)
Topic starter

I have a 1975 R75/6.  It's a great bike, but I have a problem I hope someone out there can help me with.  I recently bought a new pair of riding boots and now it's very difficult to up shift.  There's not enough distsnce between the shift lever and foot peg to get my toe under the shift lever to shift.  I have to take my foot off the peg and get under the shift lever from the side.  As many of you probably know, there is no adjustment for the position of the shift lever or the foot peg.  Has anybody run into this problem and have a solution?  Thanks for your help.  Stew Neal; member 17840

Posted : 02/17/2023 06:38
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

You can adjust the foot rest a tiny bit. The peg attachment boss has a ratchet like interface with the frame boss where it is held in place. You might get a few clicks of rotation in the clockwise direction which would change the foot/toe clearance. 

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 02/17/2023 11:28
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Also, you could fit a foot rest and shifter combo set from a /7, which is adjustable

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 02/17/2023 11:58
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

One last thing. If you want to try to adjust the foot peg, you will need to loosen the big nut that holds the peg to the frame and turn it counter clockwise 4 to 5 full turns, or more, to free up the peg. When re-tightening the nut, the torque spec is somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 foot pounds.

This post was modified 1 year ago by James Strickland

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 02/17/2023 12:58
Stew Neal
(@17840)
Topic starter

@8053 Thanks for the info. I can't believe I'm the only one to have this problem or is it just me?  My shoe size is only 91/2.  I was thinking of putting a right side peg on the left side.  That would give me 50mm more space between the peg and shift lever.  Have you heard of anyone doing this?  I'll swap the pegs to see if it works before I buy a new one.

Posted : 02/18/2023 06:31
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

There is nothing wrong with giving the parts swap a try. Extra credit points to you for thinking outside the box. If it works out, I have a an R75/5 parts donor bike. 

This post was modified 1 year ago by James Strickland

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 02/18/2023 07:05

Advertisement

Scroll to top