Clear all

Wedgetail issue? R100RS has a miss

5 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
Patrick Dial
(@patrick-dial)
Topic starter

Heads,  Love the forum BTW.  I installed a Wedgetail Ignition on my ‘79 R100 RS about 6 months ago (Bean Can).  The unit exceeded all my expectations.  A few months back I happened upon a YouTube video about possibly squashing the wires from the can to the module with the front cover.  I pulled the front cover and this was the case, but after further inspection of the wires inside the casing, there was no noticeable damage.  Since that time, the bike has developed a miss that I cannot find the problem.  Assuming it is not the Wedgetail, could I have a coil or ignition wire problem?  The bike has 113,000 miles on it with OEM coils.

Posted : 04/26/2023 10:59
David Fliehr
(@acftfliehr)
Eminent Member

Patrick - I have the same issue, after installing it has a very intermittent miss on acceleration from a low RPM...   I changed the entire system, new Coil etc..  Cars adjusted per  SnowBums procedures...  I'm still suspecting the Carbs, but this miss is similar to the Alpha system following the 100 CC upgrade(1st model) although that was repeatable.  Bike is a 1985 R-80 RT.  Cold weather starting and generally running of the Wedgetail is the best I've ever seen...  Jury is still out on this reason.  I was thinking perhaps the coil but that would be more of a repeatable issue under loading even at high RPM.  I also have the single channel unit.

Posted : 08/04/2023 18:09
Joe Hall reacted
David Fliehr
(@acftfliehr)
Eminent Member

Report back, again.. Have a 1985 R-80 RT with the Siebenrock upgrade.  When I first did this I had an Apha Ignition upgrade that worked great in the 800 CC config but when the 100CC upgrade had a noticeable stumble upon accel from idle that was repeatable.. Rick Jones from Motorrad Elektrik confirmed this issue, I then purchased the later version and had (during covid) issues with the unit in advanced timing fault that took out the starter..  Rick then recommended the Wedgetail witch works beautifully!

I've had the same issue however like the Alpha with this stumble very intermittently, the Alpha was repeatable.  I've put milage on this and went the gas octane grades ( the 100CC kit says that without the dual plugs use premium even with the cylinder spacers)  however, I have used all grades, the higher the grade, the less of afterfire in the pipes on deaccel...  Regular works the best on that as well as the stumble occurrence, however it's still there.  No detonation is observed using regular through tthe power band as well as accell underload, so the regular fuel recommendation is in my opinion not advised perhaps...  Also the slow burn pattern of the higher octane, the afterfire is not apparent using regular....   Let me know what you all think of this?!?

Posted : 08/13/2023 21:38
Joe Hall reacted
David Fliehr
(@acftfliehr)
Eminent Member

All - the issue now has progressed (after about 1500 Miles since install) to repeatable with the Tach showing erratic fluctuations in the 2000 to 2500 and even up to 3000 RPM range.  Spoke with Rick of Motorrad Elektrik.  He agrees that the first thing to change is the module as the trigger assemblies rarely fail (Wedgetail), then the coil and then the Tach (not likely the issue but is in the circuit).

So am going to attempt to purchase a Module, if that repairs it, then send in the original for warranty consideration, hoping they can reproduce, and send a replacement so as to have a good spare on the shelf.  If this doesn't repair it, then I will still have a spare.  Coil will be next and so on...

Meanwhile the mighty 300K miles plus 85 K100RT will be primary transport (  use my bikes to go to work in the Bay area) as well as use it for the Gypsy Tour next weekend (was hoping the Airhead was available as the K Beast is hot in the summer).

Posted : 08/25/2023 15:20
Joe Hall reacted
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

When I had Alpha ignition module issues, I could SEE it happening with a timing light. Watching the flywheel, the bike would start and idle fine with a steady timing mark. Begin to increase the rpm and all looked steady to a point, then the timing light image would suddenly begin to dance around on the flywheel. You can see it go a bit crazy. I knew it was the module.

Posted : 09/02/2023 14:58
Joe Hall reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top