1979 R100 Final Drive Oil Loss

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

1979 R100 RT
I left my house when it was 38°F and rode up the expressway to a ride meeting point. It's 7 miles to the freeway at 45-50mph, and then another 10 mile jaunt on the 65mph limited access road. Bike is kept in an unheated but closed garage.

When I arrived at the ride meeting place, there was evidence that final drive oil had blown itself out the breather, covering most of the final drive housing. It's quite evident that it came out the breather at the very top of the housing and not one of the seals. I've put over 35,000 miles on this bike (albeit at much more comfortable temperatures) with the same weight final drive oil and never seen this behavior.

Was it the cold temps, or does this indicate something else ?

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/31/2019 18:54
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

It was probably the cold temps that caused this. Be sure to monitor the oil level closely. It happened to one of our IL. members last year on his first ride of spring time. He was concerned and kept a close eye on it, but it never happened again.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 04/07/2019 09:48
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

Many thanks, Jim.

I have not had time to clean the bike, but the oil has been replenished and the loss was about 40cc. Not great, but on the other hand not enough to damage the final drive either.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/07/2019 15:17

Advertisement

Scroll to top