1988 R100RT no spark

18 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Jack Ottinger
(@jottinger22)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I haven't gotten a new connector yet, but I cleaned up the old destroyed one a bit and put it back in and the bike started right up. First time this decade. Very excited.

Posted : 10/29/2019 19:31
Richard W
(@wobbly)

That is indeed EXCELLENT news !! I know you're excited.

While you wait and have the tank off, the ignition module probably needs some attention. It's the little square module with the giant connector in the collection of electrical gadgets on the RH side of the frame, under the tank. You can't miss it because it has a finned heat sink.

You need to procure a small amount of heat sink paste like you'd use when you install a PC CPU. A product called Arctic Silver is rated best, but is not the only one. Anyway, the BMW heat sink paste dries up and fails to transfer heat, so the ignition module will burn up. Take the unit off the bike. Carefully pry the aluminum heat sink off the module, then polish the old hardened goop off both parts with 400 grit emery cloth. Apply a thin, even coat of thermal paste over the entire surface of either part, but not both. Apply torque to the heat sink screws evenly. 15 minutes tops.

Also check the condition of the alternator brushes while you have the front cover off. They are a wear item and are usually done for by 80,000 miles. The carbons should be long enough for the springs to be able to apply pressure against the slip ring, and each brush should move freely (in/out) in its holder.

😉

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 10/29/2019 19:53
Greg Hutchinson
(@1405)
Eminent Member

How about something basic..do you have 12 v at the coil with the ignition key on...and you made sure the kill switch is in the middle position?

If yes and you have/borrow a timing light, connect to the plug wire and hit the starter button for about 3 seconds.. The light should light. Check both wires just to be sure.

If no 12v at the coil connection, do you have a dead battery, connections good, starter button works properly, the plastic plugs at the right front under the tank are plugged all the way in?

Still doesn't work, email or call me.

Posted : 12/22/2019 16:43
Page 2 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top