7 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Scott Ambler
(@scott-ambler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

1975 R75/6 Barn Find
I've got about 50 miles on this resurrection which has seen a new wiring harness install, among other things. Have not had any electrical issues since the new harness, but at the gas station today, I filled up and the starter switch does nothing. When I turn on the ignition switch (new), I can hear the electric come on in the headlight bucket and the generator and oil lights are both lit. When I press the starter switch, nothing happens at all. I thought I would send this message out to the masses before I started into the headlight bucket with my multi-meter. Where would you start?

Posted : 03/01/2020 14:32
Richard W
(@wobbly)

There are 2 interlocks that, for safety reasons, keep you from using the electric starter. The electrical switches on the interlocks historically give a lot more trouble that the starter motor. These are the clutch lever switch and the gearbox neutral indicator switch. I believe there is also a relay or other such electrical device in that interlock system, so that the neutral lamp itself may work properly for the rider to see, but not send its "OK" signal to the starter system.

Check that out.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/03/2020 12:31
Scott Ambler
(@scott-ambler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Wobbly. I'll report what I find!

Posted : 03/03/2020 14:10
Michael Mullins
(@3628)

Make sure the contacts on the starter relay are clean. I had a similar problem that drove me nuts , and finally pulled the starter relay on a hunch, cleaned the contacts and that solved the problem.
Mike

Posted : 03/06/2020 01:27
Scott Ambler
(@scott-ambler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I replaced the starter relay when I replaced the wiring harness. Otherwise, that would have been on my list of places to look. Thanks very much for the thought!

Posted : 03/14/2020 18:59
Scott Ambler
(@scott-ambler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Well, it ended up being the neutral switch in the bottom of the gearbox. Strangely, I tested this switch after I replaced it and it tested ok, but I could wiggle it around and make it fail. So the moral to the story is that you can't rely on your test. Make it fail if you can, you may end up finding the trouble.
Thanks for sending me that direction Wobbly. Much appreciated.

Posted : 03/14/2020 19:03
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Well, it ended up being the neutral switch in the bottom of the gearbox. Thanks for sending me that direction.

I try to remain a neutral observer. :pinch:

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/14/2020 21:23

Advertisement

Scroll to top