Can't get the idle jets out

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
paul peterson
(@r80pete)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

My R80 had been sitting for months after full carburetor rebuilds . Fired it up, and it only runs at low RPM's with the choke half engaged. Runs ok at higher RPM's. I suspect the idle jets and/or the low speed circuit, so I took the carbs off, removed the float bowls, and unscrewed the idle jets. They are not coming out. Tried to use tweezers, but no luck.

Any ideas how to get these jets out without damaging them ?

Posted : 02/20/2020 22:03
Richard W
(@wobbly)

• I'm not understanding your question. Do you mean you can't physically turn the jets ? Or, do you mean that you've turned them far enough to disengage the threads, but the jets can't physically turn loose of the carb body ?

• Don't forget to clear the hole in the bottom of each float bowl which joins the 2 compartments together.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/21/2020 10:19
paul peterson
(@r80pete)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

It was easy to unscrew the jet. It just spins around now, and will not come out. Same for both carbs. I don't remember this happening last time I rebuilt the carbs, about 12 years ago. Got these jets and the o-rings from Bing Agency International about three years ago.

Posted : 02/21/2020 14:12
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Sorry to tell you, but in my experience this means the threads in the body OR the threads of the jets themselves have been "stripped". Most probably there is some damage to both.

All you can do is twist and PULL (at the same time) using a set of needle nose and hope they break free and come out.

Best of luck.

Posted : 02/22/2020 14:01
paul peterson
(@r80pete)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I was able to get them out by using compressed air. The o-rings were tight.

Posted : 02/22/2020 15:37
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I know that's a relief.

Posted : 02/22/2020 20:47

Advertisement

Scroll to top