Clear all

78 R100S

20 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
14 K Views
Richard W
(@wobbly)

You can simply stack 1 or 2 flat washers atop the rear rubber isolation mounts. Start with 1 and see if that works.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/06/2018 01:11
ray wilson
(@15295)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I put on one set of washers and it's mostly gone. Another set and it's gone. So that's cool. It's certainly odd that I needed to do that. It's pretty clean under there.
Thanks again for the advice

Posted : 06/08/2018 01:32
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Stacking washers seems to be a common solution. I don't know but maybe the rear mounts shrink over time. A friend's R75/6 is also wearing 2 flat washers per side. Hmmm.

You really, really want ZERO buzzing from the fuel tank. Buzzing means touching and touching means a hole will soon appear. Repairs to the fuel tank are always outrageously expensive. It would be cheaper to have a child in med school.

Posted : 06/10/2018 17:42
ray wilson
(@15295)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

New tank rubber supports are only $14 from the dealer. They said the rubber can shrink over the years. Maybe so, it has been 50yrs. I'll report back if that's true...

Posted : 06/14/2018 22:15
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Now there's a couple different rattles from under the tank and that bugs me too, but one thing at a time.

The usual suspect is the front tank mount rubber... worn or slipping out of place. Order a new rubber part and then use silicone sealer to adhere it to the post where it sits on the frame. This will keep it in the proper place during tank replacement.

Posted : 06/15/2018 20:56
Page 2 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top