Clear all

95 R100RT TURN SIGNAL SWITCH REPAIR

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
John Erbe
(@5191)
Topic starter

Has anyone had success repairing the turn signal switch on the handlebar . I have to apply a slight downward pressure on the switch lever to make left turn work correctly , didn't want to replace complete assembly .Thanks

Posted : 09/05/2017 13:18
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I've had the kill, horn and starter switches apart with good luck. I would definitely suggest taking the switch unit off the bike and doing this on the dining room table in bright light over a towel or blanket. The later will provide a soft landing and help catch tiny springs and balls that may jump out.

Most of the time the repair is simply removing corrosion caused by age and/or washing the bike with soapy water. Some times a tiny contact gets bent over or worn. It will be obvious under magnified inspection. I like to repack the switch with No-Ox-Id (there he goes again 😛 ) electrical compound. This will lubricate, exclude water, cut corrosion, but most importantly... hold tiny springs and balls in place during reassembly, when it seems as if you need another hand and seven more fingers.

>> Be very careful reinserting and tightening the tiny screws.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/06/2017 10:19
John Erbe
(@5191)
Topic starter

Thanks for the advice , I will pick up one of those light setups with the magnifier on it and perform surgery .

Posted : 09/06/2017 11:49

Advertisement

Scroll to top