After market turn signal flasher for R80RT

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
12.7 K Views
Russell Champion
(@4075)
Topic starter

I would be surprised if your '84 would have a different flasher than my '92 R100RT. I needed a replacement and went to CarQuest Auto Parts. The clerk sold me a CarQuest FSH 7058 flasher. The BMW flasher was rated for 24W while the FSH 7058 is 27W. The clerk thought it would work fine. My cost was $11.99.

Posted : 06/14/2016 21:06
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

On my 83 I grabbed one off the shelf at probably Auto Zone. It's still working years later so it may be OK. I don't remember much about it other than I may have had to butcher the wiring on the plug for it to work.

Bob

Posted : 06/14/2016 21:23
Richard W
(@wobbly)

There are 2 types of common American flasher mechanisms: bi-metal and the digital type. These come in 2 terminal and 3 terminal types.

The bi-metal is the cheapest way to go. Its timing is based on the total resistance of the circuit. This is why your car turn signals flash faster when 1 of the bulbs burns out. So all you needed to do with the SBE was use a higher resistance bulb, or get both signals working. It was simply looking for more total resistance.

The digital type costs about double but will solve your problem. It's timing is based on the internal circuitry of the mechanism. Any any type or number of bulbs can be used and it will flash at the exact same rate. This is usually the type used with LED bulbs. This is also the type BMW uses which accounts for the extra cost.

Your present BMW type flasher may have 4 terminals: power input, flasher output, indicator output, and return (Brown). If you use an American car type flasher unit, you will not be using the Brown wire. If you use the 2 terminal type, then the flasher output and indicator output are simply connected to the same terminal.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/18/2016 12:02

Advertisement

Scroll to top