FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

As a newbee, I could use some help..........

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
cliff chaplin
(@cliff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Good day, I just bought my first BMW. 1972 R75/5. It has been awesome for the last month. Today I turned on the gas and it is pouring out of the drain hole at the bottom of one of my Bing carbs. It is immediate. Is the float stuck or something like that? I am pretty handy, do these carbs separate just as it looks with the sliding of that pressure wire off the bottom section? It was perfect when I put it away and upon the first start today, I have this problem. Any thoughts out there, and thanks for looking in. Cliff

Posted : 05/27/2016 14:00
Mark Bogart
(@11190)
Eminent Member Admin Registered

It could be a number of things.
It could be the floats, the float spring, a bad float needle or just something stuck at the float needle.
You might be able to dislodge it with a few "gentle" taps on the carb. :woohoo:
The float bowl comes right off by sliding the retainer back.

It may be time to give those carbs a good cleaning.
It's not as hard as you might think... just keep track of where the parts go !

Posted : 05/27/2016 15:23
Richard W
(@wobbly)

It is as 11190 said. Most usually a small spec of trash caught between the float seat and the float needle. If you work carefully over a white kitchen paper towel, sometimes you can collect the offending trash and see it for yourself. It will usually be about 1/2 the size of a grain of sand. So we're talking really tiny.

To effect an optimal repair one must think in terms of symptoms and causes. Sometimes you have simply gotten a spec of dirt into your fuel system, which has unfortunately decided to take up residence in the float needle seat. (A direct cause.)

However, it could also be a symptom of something larger, say rust forming inside the fuel tank, or debris and scale from older fuel unwisely left in the tank during storage. These 2 items will often start to break loose and enter the carbs once the motorcycle has been placed back in service. If that is the case, then more rust and scale are soon to follow, and cleaning the carbs will become a daily service routine. In these instances, I highly suggest that you add 2 fuel filters, one just below each fuel tap.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/01/2016 09:03

Advertisement

Scroll to top