Engine badge attachment

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Rick Reynolds
(@rreynold6)
Topic starter

Hello All,
I just picked up another R100/7 that had a leaky master cylinder It ran down on the engine and made quite the mess but I'm getting it all cleaned up. Unfortunately it ran down on one of the metal badges on the case (R100/7) and apparently loosened it. My question: can anyone recommend an adhesive to re-attach it. It would really break my heart to pay $99 for a new one but I'm concerned that most adhesives would not hold with the engine heat. All suggestions appreciated.

Posted : 09/05/2016 13:46
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Your correct. In engineering the saying is that most all adhesives have fairly restrictive useful temperature zone. Ones that are good for cold environments, are not usually good for hot places. Add to that the presence of so many solvents (fuel, oil, detergents) for this application and you have a real quandary.

I have been tempted to use small 3mm fasteners, but one end of the badge is exposed in open starter area, while the other end slides down snug over the engine case. This means the screw needs to be a flat head and come from the inside of the cover. That necessitates a black acorn nut or other such aesthetic form of fastening. Not commonly available stuff.

I think there is a prior thread on this subject. You may wish to do a search.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/06/2016 14:59
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Speak of the devil and he appears...

While test riding my buddy's 1975 R75/6, I stopped to take a picture in front of a post office about 90 minutes from my home just to prove the bike was road worthy again after 8 years of storage.

1975 R75/6

When I got home, the RH engine badge was missing. A quick check of the photo proved it was on there at the half-way point. So I spent all the next day re-riding the same roads at 20 MPH looking for said badge with zero luck. 🙁

This is tough because I'm doing a week's worth of work for free, and already donated a new Bridgestone S11 rear tire to the cause. The price for a new badge would be a huge setback. Does anyone have a used badge for a R75/6 they'd like to sell ? Please send me a PM.

Thanks.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/10/2016 21:44
Rick Reynolds
(@rreynold6)
Topic starter

Thank you for the information. As of now, it is attached with high temperature red RTV and seems secure but I intend to watch it closely. I'll start trying to track down the 3M stuff so I have it on hand.

Posted : 09/20/2016 22:40

Advertisement

Scroll to top