Clear all

Need 3d printer to make up dash part

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
jack Petropoulos
(@jackpetropoulos)
Topic starter

I am new to the Club (thanks Duncan) as I am just reigniting my passion for riding my 79 R100 RS. I have had it for 20 yrs and have already put more miles on it this year than in the last 19. One consequence of that long ownership is that I don't bend as well as I used to so Duncan (Duncan's Beermers of Maynard MA) brought the bars back a bit for me. This caused the Impact Plate to come back approximately 3" from the Instrument Cluster. I am hoping that someone has a known solution for this? I am thinking that a 3d printed of the existing Impact Plate with a 3" extension formed to couple with the Instrument Cluster would be just the ticket. Does any one have any experience with this dilemma or with making up such parts?

Thanks and looking forward to the upcoming meets.

Jack

Posted : 08/31/2019 16:05
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome Aboard !!

Quite a few of us are dealing with that dilemma. "RS" used to stand for Road Sport. Now it stands for Rider in his Seventies !!

Photos showing how the "offset" was done would certainly help a lot. Was it done with "bar backs", extensions, new handlebars, how ???

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/31/2019 16:53
jack Petropoulos
(@jackpetropoulos)
Topic starter

Thanks Wobbly
My R100RS experience is: Rode 100 --> Really Sore

I apologize for not providing pictures in the initial post. I never fail to assume that everyone else knows exactly what I am seeing in my own head.

Here is a shot that I hope says it all. Yes bar backs were used to pull the bars back. This did really help quite a bit and a Parabelum windshield will round out the mod. (any thoughts on that would be appreciated though for the moment I am trying to solve the Impact Plate to Instrument Cluster issue. I am confident that I could make up some kind of filler from foam and maybe even coat it to look like a bad match, but I would much prefer to have a single unit that looked like not quite such a bad match.

The good thing about prevalence of the 'Rider in Seventies' syndrome, and the fact that my prescription was a dose of bar backs, is that I am encouraged to think that this problem has been solved before.

Posted : 09/01/2019 10:27
ray wilson
(@15295)
Estimable Member

Something like this? It came w my R100S. Never seen anything like it.

Posted : 09/01/2019 22:58
ray wilson
(@15295)
Estimable Member

Something like this? It came w my R100S. Never seen anything like it. Hope there are pics inserted here

Posted : 09/01/2019 22:58
ray wilson
(@15295)
Estimable Member

Sorry about all the pics

Posted : 09/01/2019 22:59
jack Petropoulos
(@jackpetropoulos)
Topic starter

Holy smokes that looks like it has something near the extra 3" built into it. I cannot figure exactly how it would work at covering the gap and the contours for the instrument cluster not perfectly aligned but they are close.

Could it be an impact plate from a similar series RT model? It looks pretty close to this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BMW-Airhead-Motorcycle-Impact-Plate-R80-R80RT-R100RT-OEM-32-71-1452-460/253086743043?epid=1823246924&hash=item3aed253a03:g:RZAAAOSw5FNZiyZn

There are a few on ebay that I could pick up and try. I am also glad to buy yours if it is not something that you need.

Posted : 09/02/2019 19:55
ray wilson
(@15295)
Estimable Member

My bash plate is for an RT or a S. Go to Max's Parts fisch and look up steering and then scroll down to see the handlebars. Item number four is what you're looking for and there's a difference between a RS and a RT and you want the RS. I'm looking desperately for a S fairing for my bike and I think I would need that bash plate when I find it

Posted : 09/02/2019 20:59
ray wilson
(@15295)
Estimable Member

I'm having a really difficult time adding pictures. There used to be a ikon up in the corner that you would push for inserting a pic now there's nothing

Posted : 09/02/2019 21:03
jack Petropoulos
(@jackpetropoulos)
Topic starter

15295 I see your attachment in your initial post but cannot get it to resolve. Attachments now are added through the icon at the bottom of the new post window

There appear to be a couple of impact (bash) plates available on ebay if you are looking

I have the appropriate impact plate for my RS but it needs to be modified (extended by ~3" toward the instrument cluster) as a result of being moved back by ~3" along with the handle bars as part of installation of a couple of bar backs. Wobbly's post gives me reason to believe that an RT impact plate may at least partially solve the problem. Best would be if I could find a CAD designer to mock up a design and a 3D printer to fool around with making up a part.

Posted : 09/02/2019 21:21

Advertisement

Scroll to top