6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
11.8 K Views
Carl Sexton
(@1810)
Topic starter

Hi guys,
The R90/6 insignia has come off one side of my engine block (1974 R90). Any advice what would be the best type of adhesive to reattach it, that would be weather & heat resistant?
Also, admiring the photos of so many good looking bikes, I'm ashamed of how dirty and stained my engine block is. What do you all use to keep them so clean? Any particular products to avoid that might damage the metal, and specific products that work well to remove discoloration? Appreciate any suggestions!
One other thing, I've seen I think three advertisements for companies that rebuild speedometers. Any recommendations? Mine is broken, non-functional for the past few years.
Thanks and have a good day! Carl

Carl

Posted : 04/12/2016 22:16
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

To re-stick your engine badge, use 3M emblem adhesive or 3M door gasket adhesive. I bought my tube at NAPA. Be sure to clean the mating surfaces well and follow the instructions on the tube.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 04/13/2016 11:11
Carl Sexton
(@1810)
Topic starter

Thanks, got some and it worked well.

Carl

Posted : 04/24/2016 16:45
Kevin McQuillen
(@5320)

Speedometer repair: If you are anywhere in the western states, I can heartily recommend Seattle Speedometer ( http://seattlespeedometer.com/). He is a one man operation, very knowledgeable, has parts, and great to work with. I recently had him repair several speedo's and tach's. He is in the process of moving out of Seattle to Ellensburg, Washington - don't know if that's in progress yet or not. Perhaps email him and try to phone. Good luck to you.

Posted : 04/27/2016 15:09
Carl Sexton
(@1810)
Topic starter

Hey thanks. He is not one of the ones that I had found before. I'll try to contact him. Just asking for recommendations because I haven't had any experience in this area previously and just don't know who has quality of work at a reasonable price. I guess there are so few people doing these repairs that price is irrelevant compared to quality of repairs. I'm on the other side of the country from Seattle, but I reckon UPS goes there.

Carl

Posted : 04/27/2016 22:05
Richard W
(@wobbly)

A quick check turned up 2 places for BMW motorcycle speedo and tach repair...

Palo Alto Speedometer www.paspeedo.com/ Palo Alto, CA
Overseas Speedometer www.speedometer.com/ Austin, TX

I contacted both for a quote through their web pages and got replies the next day.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/28/2016 22:55

Advertisement

Scroll to top