Clear all

WHAT COILS FOR EZA 3 ELECTRONIC IGNITION

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Lou Springer
(@ipopeye)
Topic starter

HI I purchased the EZA-3 Electronic Ignition System from B2V. I need to know what coils to use with it. Coils come with different resistance (0.7, 1.5, 3 ohms) which should I use??  and what spark plugs and wires. Thanks!

1977 R100/7

Posted : 03/23/2021 06:13
Topic Tags
andrew murphy
(@murphyam53)
Eminent Member

Lou,

A quick check of the B2V site did not let me download the EZA-3 instruction manual, but a German website had an English manual available. It did not mention anything about coil requirements or limitations, so I assume the original coils should are acceptable. The R100/7 had two 6 volt, 1.5 ohm, coils wired in series for 3 ohms total. If you mean to replace the stock coils, Dyna makes a dual output 3 ohm coil, https://www.lossaengineering.com/products/dyna-3-ohm-green-coils-dual-output?variant=12386218374, but it requires a Dyna mounting bracket.

The original spark plug wires can be used, but the spark plug boots should probably be changed to 5K ohms. The stock plug boots are probably 1K ohm, you should check this with an ohmmeter. 1K ohms resistance is suitable for points ignition systems but 5K ohm boots will better protect that new ignition module from the high voltage transients in the ignition system. NGK LB15FP 5K ohm boots will thread onto the plug wires in place of the stock boots.

The stock Bosch W5DC plugs, or NGK BP5ES plugs, are still recommended.

If you have any more questions or installation problems, this forum and its contributors are here to help.

Andy

1995 R100RT

ABC# 15601

Posted : 03/23/2021 10:08
andrew murphy
(@murphyam53)
Eminent Member

Lou,

I meant to type NGK BP6ES spark plugs. BP5s might be too hot a range for that engine. Sorry

Andy

Posted : 03/23/2021 10:11
Lou Springer
(@ipopeye)
Topic starter

HI  can someone point me to something that explains the whole spark circuit. What ohm coils? what resistance wires/caps resistance of plugs etc. heat of plugs, etc I don't have a clue Thanks!!

Posted : 03/23/2021 11:36
andrew murphy
(@murphyam53)
Eminent Member

Scot,

I have also read that NGK has discontinued the BP6ES in favor of the BPR6ES. I am still working out of my old stock of these plugs. A quick check of my FLAPS, NAPAONLINE.com, shows they have BP6ESs in stock, $3 each. 

Lately I have been experimenting with the BPR6EIX. It does have a 5K resistor but when used with a 1K ohm boot it still provides about the same resistance to the coil. It also uses a reduced diameter iridium center electrode. This reduces the voltage required to fire the plug, allowing for a longer kernel burn time and hopefully bigger flame front. So far the bike starts and runs well. I'm still making mileage tests.

Andy

1995 R100RT

ABC# 15601

Posted : 03/23/2021 12:00
andrew murphy
(@murphyam53)
Eminent Member

Lou,

Let me introduce you to Robert Fleischer, aka Snowbum. He is one of the Grand Masters of BMW knowledge, maintenance, lore, and trivia. His technical website is https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/technical-articles-list.htm. Scroll down to section 28 for all the ignition information you can absorb. Then keep looking for answers and explanations for any other airhead question you can think of. Get comfortable, there is a world of information here at your fingertips.

Andy

1995 R100RT

ABC# 15601

Posted : 03/23/2021 12:23
Lou Springer
(@ipopeye)
Topic starter

thanks to all . I'm going with bosch 3 ohm coils, new ignition wires with 5K ohm heads and non resistor plugs.

Posted : 03/28/2021 12:41
Richard W
(@wobbly)

As far as coils, consult the shop you bought the unit from. If you burn the unit up with something you heard on this forum they can back out on the warranty. It's simply not worth it. You must consult the maker or approved seller to be fully covered. But to echo Scot, I've never heard of an EI maker that didn't specify an exact coil resistance for their unit. And most of them make a coil they want you to use.

I have also heard that NGK was discontinuing non-resister plugs.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/28/2021 18:18

Advertisement

Scroll to top