1983 R100RS Tool Kit

7 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
Steven Shockley
(@14922)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

My R100RS didn't have a tool kit when I bought it a few years ago. Since I was just riding local I never worried about it.

Now I'm wanting to do some traveling and I'm looking at tool kit options. Should I look for an OEM tool kit (new or used), or possibly one of the ones that Aerostich sells? Should I just look at what the OEM kit had in it and assemble one myself?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Posted : 03/01/2024 15:34
Steven Rankin
(@14724)
Estimable Member

I would go with either your first or third option.  I have not looked at the kit that Aerostitch sells so I could be wrong but, there is a good possibility your will be getting certain tools you won't need.

Most of the newer non airhead BMW bikes switched from Allen style bolts to Torx (if that is the correct term) bolts.  So many new kits will have a selection of Torx bits or sockets that you won't ever need and you may not get all the Allen stuff you do need.  You may not get the box/combo wrench that fits the bigger steering head nuts as well as the tool to adjust the bearings.  Mind you, I don't have my stock tool kit in front of me so perhaps there are other BMW tools in the Airhead OM kit that isn't in the generic Aerostich kit.

I have no idea what stock tool kits are selling for on the market.  I would assume them to be reasonably priced.  The quality for the kit's tools is pretty good, lol far better than the Suzuki kit my cousin's bike came with.   In a pinch, just about any task can be done on an airhead with the stock kit.

As for building a kit from scratch, it can be done, not sure of the cost.

Best world is to have the stock kit and add to it.  In my case, I added some extra wrenches, better pliers, just to name two items.

Good luck, St.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Steven Rankin

Beware! I do not suffer fools gladly! St.

Posted : 03/01/2024 16:21
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

I recommend OEM tool kits for airheads. I got a very nice new one of quality tools from Bob's BMW for my R65 LS and I'm sure they have ones for the R100 RS. 

You can easily put your own together but it's a bit of messing around figuring out just what you need. 

Posted : 03/02/2024 06:37
Eric Morales reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Complete, OEM tool kits are on eBay all the time. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/02/2024 06:49
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

R65 kit

Posted : 03/02/2024 15:20
Steven Shockley
(@14922)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and ordered an OEM tool kit from Max BMW.

Posted : 03/03/2024 11:35
Eric Morales reacted
Mike Buhler
(@16813)
Estimable Member

It should keep you in good stead. ou might want to add a 3rd tire iron to your kit depending how good you are at changing flats.

Posted : 03/08/2024 06:14
Eric Morales reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top