1989 R100 GS- Headlight Bulb Replacement

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Neil Carrick
(@12558)
Topic starter

Hello,

Can anyone advise on how to change the headlight bulb and what is a good replacement bulb to use as the original was rather anemic to put it mildly.

Posted : 06/16/2020 14:58
Richard W
(@wobbly)

You most definitely want to convert your headlamp bulb to LED for the following reasons...
• More light output
• Whiter light
• Longer life
• 1/2 to 2/3 less energy consumed (meaning better charge capability for the battery)

Consult your owner's manual, but like Scot said I also believe your bike uses the very common "H4" form factor bulb. I highly prefer the ones constructed using a 3-sided column. There are some using a 2-sided column which will not fully illuminate the reflector. For the same price, I'd rather have the full illumination for safer daytime riding and better nighttime light dispersion.

• Here's one with 16,000 lumens which consumes 36W. However note that the power supply must have a cooling unit, and that takes up extra room inside the headlamp shell. This is why the connector has to be mounted on a "pig tail". This is very similar to ones I purchased about 3 years ago.

• I recently purchased THIS BULB. It consumes 12W of powder to produce 1200 lumens. It does not have a fan and is a direct and easy replacement if the inside of your headlamp shell is cramped for space. It is NOT made in China.

► Be careful and buy one with a "motorcycle" light pattern, because lots of cars also use similar H4 bulbs.

All LED bulbs have a better pattern if you remove the sub-reflector that was mounted just in front of the bulb, inside the reflector. Scot has a separate thread on this.

► H4 is a directional beam bulb, therefore the base only fits into the headlamp receptacle one way. The flange on the H4 is "keyed" to keep you from inserting it in the wrong position.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/16/2020 17:39

Advertisement

Scroll to top