Clear all

'77 R75/7 Carbs

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Andrew Lane
(@andrew-lane)
Topic starter

Hello All! I recently purchased a R75/7 in hopes of having a project to work on. The bike starts and runs but is very difficult to start and does not like to idle and the carbs leak as well. However, while actually looking at the bike today, I noticed the left carburetor is different from the right. I am trying to restore to as close to factory as possible so which is the correct one and where can I find a matching one? . I tried to attach the images but I'm not sure if I did so correctly, if not let me know how and I will add the photos again. Thanks!

Posted : 06/03/2020 21:10
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome Aboard !

Bing carbs have a Left and Right version (1 each) on the same bike. Those will have different numbers stamped on the outside. I don't think this is the difference you are discussing, but just wanted to start on the same footing.

You may also glean something from This Thread. /7 bikes will not need new carbs as the /5 bikes did.

I agree, matching L & R carbs are the place to start. I'd look in the pull-down AirBazaar menu at the top of the page for a set of matching carbs. If that fails, then Ebay. Be sure and purchase 1977 or later carbs. New would be VERY expensive, but the only parts that wear are the nickle and dime o-rings, gaskets and such. So starting with a "pre-tested" matching carb set is the way to go.

Rebuilding carbs is easy, something you can do yourself. DO NOT send them to Bing !!

While you do that, you can also study... THIS THREAD

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/04/2020 16:58
Andrew Lane
(@andrew-lane)
Topic starter

Thank you for the info Wobbly! After looking through the receipts the original owner left with the bike, it appears as though the body of the left carburetor was changed to what looks like a 64/32/321 but with the original 64/32/13 cap. This is strange as the 321 body has only 2 holes to mount the cap while the 13 head has 4 holes to be mounted. The right carb (64/32/14) is completely original but it is difficult to find a single 64/32/13 carb on ebay as they are sold in pairs for ~600 dollars.

Posted : 06/04/2020 21:49
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I agree, $600 is robbery with a pen.

Like I said, check the AirBazaar and post an Item Wanted if needed. I've had excellent luck there, and just scored a speedo there last week. Unfortunately, this board doesn't allow private mail, or else you'd probably already have several offers.

Some tips to get you back on the road....
• If the "chokes" have no effect and the bike is hard to start, it's usually a blocked jet in the bottom of the float bowl. Blow that clear.

• If the bike won't idle after an 10 mile ride, then remove the #45 idle jet and blow it out. This is in a shallow well right next to the Main Jet and comes out with a flat blade screwdriver. It may need a new #60 o-ring which you can get at the hardware store.

• Always run name brand high test with a built-in cleaner. To which you can add 1oz of a cleaner by the name of StarTron, available at your hardware or LAP store

• When returning, practice turning OFF your fuel about a block from your home. This will empty the float bowls and save you further carb cleaning frustration.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/05/2020 20:42
Andrew Lane
(@andrew-lane)
Topic starter

Just managed to find the correct carb after two days intensive search! Really appreciate all the tips!

Posted : 06/05/2020 21:34
tom Lyons
(@airhead-tom)

If you need a Primer on DIY carb rebuilding before starting on yours, YouTube is a great visual source. Look for the Boxer2Valve videos; this company is an Advertiser here on ABC. Your 1977 /7 series carbs are very similar to the R90/6 carbs rebuilt on camera by Boxer2Valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpBA6wimjLc "R90/6 # 12 Rebuilding Bing CV Carburetors"

Posted : 11/22/2020 14:08

Advertisement

Scroll to top