Clear all

/5 Headlight bulb upgrade

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
John Brock
(@john-brock)
Topic starter

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm not finding anything using the Search tool.
My old 71 R75/5 has the globe style headlamp bulb. I like the look, but a brighter, more functional light would be a very useful upgrade. I don't often find myself out at night, but it happens.

Is there a thread or resource that details out what it takes to upgrade the headlamp on a /5 ?

Thanks

John Brock
Woodway, WA

Posted : 09/05/2019 10:10
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I'm not familiar with the headlamp, but I can tell you that almost all the better replacement bulbs are for the bulb sockets known as H2, H4, etc.

The /6 and later use the "H4" which is extremely popular. Maybe too popular, as most of the upgrade bulbs are just junk. I'm using the Cyron H4 replacement LED which is something like 3000 lumens (thats about 4 times brighter than what you currently have) while only drawing about 20W of power. The Cyron has a great night time light pattern for motorcycles, and oncoming cars will see you much better during the day. So you can use less power and get more light output. The Cyron also comes with 3 different mechical rims to help it fit numerous bulb applications.

Order one off Amazon and check the fit. You can return it for a full refund if it doesn't. Or do a search here on Cyron. It has been discussed 3 or 4 times before.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/05/2019 23:06
Edward Jones
(@14979)
Trusted Member

I have a 1981 R100RT which was very simple upgrade since it uses an H4 style bulb. I used a LED kit from SuperBrightLEDs.com . It was worth every penny. Did my car and my GL1200 Goldwing also. At only 2500 lumen it's much brighter than the H4 Halogen and whiter and half the wattage.

When you say "globe style" are you meaning a standard old sealed beam like USA cars used before 1978? I don't know of any drop in replacement for sealed beam. And SuperbrightLEDs don't show any drop in. I think you might need to adapt a later headlight shell to your bike. If you do any night riding it's well worth the effort IMO. I remember the step up from sealed beam to Halogen, wow! Well the LED is as far ahead of the Halogen as the halogen was to the sealed beam.

Posted : 09/07/2019 21:17
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Sealed beams only come in 5" and 7" sizes for US cars. A company called Truck-Lite sells LED replacement sealed beams on-line and through NAPA auto parts stores.

www.Truck-Lite.com

Posted : 09/08/2019 14:52
John Brock
(@john-brock)
Topic starter

The /5s use an R2 P45t bulb, but it looks like a golf ball.

I put a new one in so I'm legal again.
I've also ordered a set of LED Motolights which will give me a lot more light and visibility.

Posted : 09/09/2019 20:59
Stephan Ashe
(@sashe)

I've found P45t adaptors that allow use of more common P43T base halogen lamps. also just purchased a P45T base LED headlamp. hopefully it works with the OG headlight reflector and lens. a lot less wattage for a bunch more light, lets see if the low beam cut off works!

https://www.ledlight.com/led-headlight-5-to-30-volt-p45t-dual-filament-non-polarized.aspx

Posted : 11/15/2019 17:16
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I've found P45T adapters that allow use of more common P43T base halogen lamps.

A link to the adapters would also be nice.

Posted : 11/15/2019 22:23
John Brock
(@john-brock)
Topic starter

Please reply back with your observations.
This sounds like just what I've been looking for.

Posted : 11/16/2019 11:35
Stephan Ashe
(@sashe)
Stephan Ashe
(@sashe)

Just search Ebay for "P45T adapters". $6-7 a piece.

For some reason i couldn't copy the URL.

Posted : 11/18/2019 10:09

Advertisement

Scroll to top