Clear all

'79 R65 Combination switch turn signal on right

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Bob Shaw
(@bobshaw)
Topic starter

1979 R65. I broke the kill switch on my right combination switch. It still functions, but the lever is gone and cannot be found. The graphics are rubbed off almost completely, so I am considering replacing the right combination switch. I looked at some replacements, but they do not have the turn signal control as mine does. I can only find left combination switches with a turn signal control. Any suggestion, apart from replacing both combination switches, for locating a right combination switch that also has a turn signal control?

Posted : 09/21/2019 06:19
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Turn signal on the Left may be a DOT requirement now.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 09/22/2019 23:09
Bob Shaw
(@bobshaw)
Topic starter

That had not occurred to me, and it seems reasonable. I checked and it does not seem so:

49 CFR § 571.123 - Standard No. 123; Motorcycle controls and displays.

Table 1
1) Clutch, 3) Headlight Hi/Lo, 4) Horn on the left handlebar
5) Turn signal lamps on the handlebars
8) Twist grip throttle, 9) supplemental engine stop, 10) front wheel brake on the right handle bar

Posted : 09/23/2019 21:08
Bob Shaw
(@bobshaw)
Topic starter

Follow up: I replaced both combination switches (and handlebars). I also discovered my headlights were not working properly (only flash high worked). I discovered the headlight relay coil was not connected to anything, and nothing near by to connect it to. I think it is supposed to be energized when the key is on all the way, and turn off when starter is engaged. I put in a work-around to energize the relay coil via added switch (fused), so now headlights work when ignition key is full on, HL off in middle & off. I can turn the relay off until the engine is started, then on for the rest of the ride. I will fix it properly when I find somebody a little smarter than I am.

Posted : 11/17/2019 08:21
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Bob -
Sorry hear about your woes, but glad to hear you're back on the road. One thing I don't understand... are you saying your harnesses are now OK, but some of the discrete wiring between the HL relay (located in the headlamp shell on my '79 R100RT) and the HL bulb is missing ??

Would photos of my wiring help ?

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/17/2019 11:41
Bob Shaw
(@bobshaw)
Topic starter

My HL relay is under the gas tank. I have a wiring diagram, but I can't read it very well, or it does not match my 'as installed' wiring. I don't think a photo would help, but thanks for the offer.

Posted : 11/17/2019 13:35

Advertisement

Scroll to top