7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Russ J. Muller
(@15908)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi there,
I don’t know if I’m in the right space, I am rebuilding my carburetors from a 1973 75/5 And wanted to know if it is possible for the meantime to put 64/32/323 carburetors from R80g/s onto the 75/5?
Russ

Posted : 06/29/2019 00:11
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

The answer to your question is yes and no. The carbs should fit, and provide a useful fuel air mixture, but the choke (enricher) action is completely different and your actuating cables from the /5 might not attach to the later carbs. Cables on the earlier models are mono-filament, wire wrapped style and the later style from handlebar choke lever are braided steel. The early style push the choke levers closed where as the later style use return springs to pull the levers closed when the handlebar lever is changed from full on to full off.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 06/29/2019 10:22
Russ J. Muller
(@15908)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you, I should be able to put some short manual pullers on choke for the time been.
Russ

Posted : 06/29/2019 13:37
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I would say that it will take you as long to fashion the new choke hookup as it will to rebuild the older carbs. Of course that's assuming you have all the parts you need before you start. But the parts are all known, so there's no reason you can't make a 60 minute job of it and move on.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/29/2019 19:51
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Right! it takes me the better part of a whole day to go thru a set of carburetors.
However, we can not assume the what the owner has in mind.
I once put a good pair of 900 carbs on a 750, and the thing ran great right out of the chute.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 06/29/2019 20:29
Richard W
(@wobbly)

It takes me the better part of a whole day to go thru a set of carburetors.

You would have starved to death as a pro-mechanic. 👿

The secret is to clean and/or replace all the important parts so that the bike runs really good,
and than charge them as if you had spent all day. 😛

► Seriously, most people waste a lot of extra time scrubbing parts that don't need to be scrubbed. StarTron and/or Top Tier detergent gasolines will do all that scrubbing for you as you ride. And it will also clean parts, like the inside of the petcocks, where owners never think to clean.

https://toptiergas.com/toptier_detergent_gasoline/

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/30/2019 14:38
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

It takes me the better part of a whole day to go thru a set of carburetors.

You would have starved to death as a pro-mechanic. 👿

The secret is to clean and/or replace all the important parts so that the bike runs really good,
and than charge them as if you had spent all day. 😛

► Seriously, most people waste a lot of extra time scrubbing parts that don't need to be scrubbed. StarTron and/or Top Tier detergent gasolines will do all that scrubbing for you as you ride. And it will also clean parts, like the inside of the petcocks, where owners never think to clean.

https://toptiergas.com/toptier_detergent_gasoline/

Never claimed to be a pro. I like to take my time when approaching any work I do on my bikes.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 07/05/2019 23:37

Advertisement

Scroll to top