Brake line size

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
ray wilson
(@15295)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Does anyone know the ID for the brake line from the rear reservoir to the MC on a R100 S? I don't want to remove the hose without having a replacement on hand. The plastic bleeder next to it is 6mm.

Ray

6v

Posted : 02/12/2022 10:12
Richard W
(@wobbly)

• 8mm or 5/16 inch ID. I've been using US made fuel line on my bikes, but then I'm also running DOT5 Silicone brake fluid. 

• What ever hose you decide upon, you'll want to get 2 of the fuel line spring clamps of an appropriate size.

• The reservoir holding bracket is not strong enough for you to force the hose up onto the outlet nib. I highly suggest that you: remove the plastic part of the reservoir from the bike, install the hose to the reservoir on the bench, reinstall the reservoir, then trim the hose to length in-situ to fit the master cyl. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

• DOT4 brake fluid is extremely caustic, and will remove paint and corrode metal. Even it you don't see it, there can be spills, droplets, spray... some sort of mishap with the fluid. I highly suggest a bath for the entire rear of the bike in HOT soapy water as soon as you complete this job. This will eliminate any paint damage you might otherwise experience.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/13/2022 08:39
ray wilson
(@15295)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@wobbly 

Thanks for that. The PO used blue brake line with screw type hose clamps. It looks weird on a black frame w red smoke. Thanks for all your excellent and timely advice on this forum 

Ray

Posted : 02/13/2022 09:22

Advertisement

Scroll to top