Clear all

Grey relay 6136-1 391 397 89 9547

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
John Hogan
(@14642)
Topic starter

What is the purpose of the grey relay beside the orange starter relay on my 90 GSPD. They both click when I press the button. The problem is with the solenoid on the Valeo starter which i have ordered from EME but I am now curious as to the purpose of the grey relay which also clicks. I cant find it in the BMW parts book.

Posted : 08/22/2017 23:38
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

While I am not familiar with the particulars of a '90 GSPD, some detective work might be revealing. What other things typically happen, electrically speaking, when you push the "start" button?, apart from the starter motor engaging. If the relay fires when you hit start, it is trying to turn something on or off. A "load shedding" relay perhaps. Does the relay appear to be OEM, or a feature that was added after assembly? Does the wiring diagram provide any clues?

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 08/23/2017 09:17
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Not 100% sure, but lots of BMWs turn the headlamp OFF during engine start since the HL is a major consumer of battery resources. Trace out the wires in the schematic and see.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/23/2017 18:49
John Hogan
(@14642)
Topic starter

Thanks for both replies, I took a look after work today with a wiring diagram this time. It looks like the grey relay IS the starter relay while the orange relay that I thought was for the starter is actually the headlamp relay It is likely clicking in unison with the starter relay as it shuts the headlamp circuit during starting. Just waiting on a solenoid and I should be back in business.

Posted : 08/24/2017 00:52
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Typically, BMW wants about $30 for those relays. However, you can sometimes Google the manufacturer's part number on the can and find them cheaper on Amazon. Not all relays, but some. Quite a few are in general use on cars with multiple manufacturing sources. Those "mini-can" relays are very popular with auto makers.

If you find a possible substitute on the web, it is very important that you compare the schematic on the side of your relay very closely with the schematic pictured on your web source to be sure they are electrically identical.

My old starter relay

My $7 replacement starter relay

Notice that the plastic mounting arm (pictured on my new relay) is an option not needed for the motorcycle, but one that does not affect the electrical operation of the relay. So I simply sawed it off and saved the $23.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/24/2017 17:38

Advertisement

Scroll to top