FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

Since the R series light bulb is horrible..................

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
10.5 K Views
cliff chaplin
(@cliff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Can't we just use a 12V H4 Halogen light as a replacement??
Or is there more necessary?? Always interested to learn more.
Cliff

Posted : 08/27/2017 19:21
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You either need to append this question to an older thread, so that the context of your statements can be reviewed and comprehended, or you need to supply more information within this thread.

• You can always refit a 12V Halogen H4, just be careful of the current draw with your selected bulb.

• "Or is there more necessary??" More what ? More is always necessary, but that is the nature of addiction to beer, women, Airheads, tools, caffeine, etc, etc. Exactly which addiction are you referring to ? 😛

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/27/2017 19:40
cliff chaplin
(@cliff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I thought I may require some voltage regulator or something amp wise may need to be changed. That is what I meant by something additional. If I can just switch out the bulb for a 12v halogen, I will give that a try first. We all know the stock bulb is 'from hunger' as my grandma would say. I have two highway lights and I have already upgraded my stator from a /5 to a /6 or better. I did not know if anything else is needed. Thanks, Cliff

Back to that women reference, that is a spot where I an always use some add'l information. I am married for almost 40 years and I almost have that wiring diagram figured out. Thanks Wobbly, you are the best.

Posted : 08/28/2017 13:36
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Ahh! The stock bulb, switches, and wiring are set up for a 50/65W H4. The higher you go in bulb Wattage, the more the current draw increases. Wire size and the handlebar switch size limit the current draw. You might be able to go to 70 or 75W with the stock wiring, but if you want one of the newer 100W bulbs then you need to do some re-wring and run it through an add-on relay. (Watts are Watts; it doesn't matter if these are Halogen Watts, florescent Watts, or HID Watts.)

Going LED is much, much easier. Most of the super-duper bright LED "bulbs" that fit in the H4 sockets only draw about 45W. So you can see that driving around blind at night and having to cut up your bike's wiring harness are not mutually exclusive anymore. I also believe that the bright "white" LED light is more visible during the day also, thus adding to safety.

As to whether you get in trouble with the alternator output or not, that's something you have to work out for yourself. Take the total Wattage of your alternator and subtract the Wattage of the HL bulb, tail lamp bulb, and each accessory. The total should leave you 15 to 20W to spare, which is used to charge the battery. If you do not have that, then you cannot run all your accessories at the same time. You'll have convert more bulbs to LED, OR make a choice between which single accessory to run, OR get a larger Wattage alternator.

It's exactly like the family budget.
If you run out of funds before the month is out, then you have to make due with less, or find a job that pays more.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/28/2017 23:50
Dean Klein
(@371)
Eminent Member

I have Motorrad Elektrik Omega chargers on all my airheads. 55/100 headlight is no issue at all. Big light... and if you want to hang off more lights, no issue at all. LED is a good alternative as well. Low draw is always good.

YMMV... make it the way you want. I know the Omega's have never failed me. Nice to have heated grips, heated vest and a big headlight too.

Posted : 09/17/2017 12:33
cliff chaplin
(@cliff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Appreciate the input. Where did you buy the chargers? I already went ahead and changed the bulb to Halogen and I am also testing a LED bulb I purchased. I don't use the heated stuff, but I do try to run some Halogen highway lights. Thanks again. CTC

Posted : 09/17/2017 14:30
Dean Klein
(@371)
Eminent Member

http://www.motoelekt.com

Posted : 09/17/2017 19:43
cliff chaplin
(@cliff)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the help. All over it............looks like a great add on.
CTC

Posted : 09/17/2017 21:41
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

clif

there are UPGRADES [ article down yrs ago ] found in archives that anyone who is a member can find in archives. some help to increase wire size to effect any owner changes to the stock wiring. remember as wobbly mentioned adding higher wattage bulbs has an effect on heat and current draw through the stock 16ga wires.

UP Grading makes sense if you go this route

Posted : 09/20/2017 13:19
James Carr
(@11771)
Eminent Member

It sounds like you have a /5. If so and you have the stock headlight it is not an H4 but the old standard bulb.
To upgrade to a H4 you will need a different reflector and lens. Also the /5 light is smaller than the newer bikes so you need the parts for a R65 that has the same diameter light as the /5 and is H4.

Posted : 09/28/2017 23:52
Kenneth McDonald
(@13293)

I did that, the R65 lens & reflector on my /5 and run a hotter bulb. I am getting the eastern beaver relay kit for it as well. I also run runnin' lights, the turn signal conversion where the the lamps are on all the time . With my enduralast 450 charging system I have had no problems.

Posted : 10/27/2017 15:25

Advertisement

Scroll to top