Clear all

Need Help With R100 GS PD Ignition Switch

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
John Lindberg
(@john-lindberg)
Topic starter

The ignition/light switch on my 1993 R100 GS PD gave up the ghost today.  The whole assembly is made up of 5 parts best I can tell from the fiche - only some are available.  Does anybody have a suggestion for an alternate part that is actually available that would perform the necessary functions? 

Second question - how is the switch retained in the dash?  I don't see anything threaded or latched that would allow me to remove the old broken switch.  I don't want to damage the dash in the process of figuring this out.

Thanks,

John

Posted : 11/16/2022 15:12
Richard W
(@wobbly)

• Item 8 is a nut. Insert a tool into the 2 slots and turn it CCW, as you would with any nut. 

• Replacement ignition switches are not sold by BMW any longer. I suggest you call Motorrad Eliktrik and see if their replacement sw will work on your bike. 

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/17/2022 06:08
John Lindberg
(@john-lindberg)
Topic starter

Richard,

Many thanks for your post.  I believe those are locks for the luggage.  This diagram shows the ignition switch.  I was actually able to order items 1, 3, 4, and 5 from Cross Country in NJ (ccbmw.com).  Hoping they don't find empty bins when they go to fill the order.

Here's what I believe to be the case with removing the switch.  Item # 5 should be carefully levered up as there are tabs holding it in place that are easily broken.  Once that's out of the way, I should see two slots on the side of item # 4.  Push inward on the tabs in those slots and push down on the switch to remove it from the back of the dash.  Once I have the new parts in hand I will verify, take a couple of pix, and post.  Just in case anybody else runs into this situation.

Thanks,
John

Posted : 11/18/2022 15:48
John Lindberg
(@john-lindberg)
Topic starter

As feared and expected, the switch is indeed unobtainium.  After purchasing a replacement from Euro Motoelectrics that does function, I found the root cause problem is a bad 5-pin connector leading to the brake and rear turn signal lights.  The switch is still functioning as intended.  I was also able to verify that the switch removal instructions are correct.  Couple of photos of the parts in question are attached showing the tabs that hold the switch body and bezel in place.

John

Posted : 11/29/2022 13:58
John Lindberg
(@john-lindberg)
Topic starter

And another photo

Posted : 11/29/2022 13:59

Advertisement

Scroll to top