Clear all

Parts Advice Needed - Master Cylinder

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
John Rife
(@jcrife)
Topic starter

I have a 1978 R100/7. I need to rebuild my front master cylinder. The rebuild kits I see online are either 14mm or 17mm. How would I determine which I need? Thanks for all advice. Also, I may replace my front wheel bearings and seals (they are original) and the front wheel is squeaking some. Can someone give me a part number and source for this too?

Posted : 12/31/2019 14:28
Russ J. Muller
(@15908)
Eminent Member

Check fiche at:
shop.maxbmw.com
The best parts locator around.
Russ

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

Posted : 12/31/2019 14:36
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Usually that number is molded into the body of the cylinder itself, but it may be hidden from view by the reservoir.

The simple & safe solution: Loosen and disconnect the brake cable from the actuating arm of the master cylinder, pull the arm away, peel off the rubber protective cup, and then you'll be looking directly at the bore of the master cylinder. Measure it with a hand held measuring caliper.

It's either 14 or 17mm. Due to angles of measurement, rust, and other obstructions you'll probably not get an exact number, but one that will allow you to make a very educated guess.

► If there is ANY evidence of leaking (like rust on the frame) then you MUST also inspect the electrical connections directly under the m/c. ESPECIALLY the starter relay.

► If there is ANY doubt about your flexible brake hoses, then read this: https://www.airheads.org/forum/technical-discussions/1103-brake-hose-failure-causes-cures

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/31/2019 17:50
John Rife
(@jcrife)
Topic starter

Thanks for this advice. It is a 17mm. The sleeve is quite corroded and probably needs to be resleeved. Has anyone had experience with sending the unit to Apple Hydraulics in NY for cleaning and resleeving? https://www.applehydraulicsonline.com/collections/motorcycles/products/bmw-motorcycle-master-cylinder?variant=16394000001

Posted : 01/02/2020 19:04
Tim Hille
(@14325)
Eminent Member Admin Registered

Not sure where you are located, but we are having a Tech Day in MA this Saturday focused on just this problem, and we have on hand some newly re-sleeved with SS sleeve master cylinders. After the tech day we will likely send out another batch for referb. Let me know if you want to get in on either of these. The cost of a referb unit is $180, no core.

Tim Hille
MA Airmarshal

Posted : 01/02/2020 19:42
Tim Hille
(@14325)

Not sure where you are located, but we are having a Tech Day in MA this Saturday focused on just this problem, and we have on hand some newly re-sleeved with SS sleeve master cylinders. After the tech day we will likely send out another batch for referb. Let me know if you want to get in on either of these. The cost of a referb unit is $180, no core.

Tim Hille
MA Airmarshal

Posted : 01/02/2020 19:43
Tim Hille
(@14325)

Tim Hille
MA Airmarshal

Posted : 01/02/2020 19:44
John Rife
(@jcrife)
Topic starter

Thanks Tim. I am in NC so won't be at the tech day but are you saying your group will be selling a referb unit for 180....and what does a referb include? And "no core" meaning you would not need mine? I appreciate your help. John

Posted : 01/02/2020 22:12
John Rife
(@jcrife)
Topic starter

Tim, I also made a mistake.....my 1978 R100/7 is a single disk model and the M/C seems to be 14mm.....mine is very hard to read due to corrosion.

Posted : 01/02/2020 22:40
Tim Hille
(@14325)

Yes, we can get you a reverb unit with stainless steel sleeve for $180. We do not need your core. You would still need a maintenance kit with O-rings and piston seals etc. I think that would be another $77 from Max or similar dealer.

Posted : 01/02/2020 23:33
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

pm
me your address for a set of 0-rings you'll need ... not usually on parts fische
reservoir to body

Posted : 04/16/2020 17:56
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

pm
me your address for a set of 0-rings you'll need ... not usually on parts fische
reservoir to body

Posted : 04/16/2020 17:56

Advertisement

Scroll to top