Tech Day Transport or Ride

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I just joined ABC and have a lot of interest in the Tech Days to have someone other than YouTube and Clymer's to help me hone my repair/maintenance skills. I believe I am 90% there on what I understand.

My bike runs well and I would assume make it to any Tech Day in the area based on my adjustments.

If I was to question myself or attend a tech day that is of a reasonable distance, is it common for people to trailer??

Thanks guys/gals~

Posted : 03/30/2018 10:57
Richard W
(@wobbly)

The humorous answer is this.....

You are allowed to trailer it the first time. But if the guys get it running really good, then you had better ride it to every subsequent one !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 03/30/2018 22:28
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Haha. Now that is some noob pressure !!!! I made the decision and there will be NO trailer involved. I'd rather breakdown and walk instead of face the ridicule...

Thanks for the follow up guys.

Posted : 03/31/2018 21:51
Richard W
(@wobbly)

If I was to question myself or attend a tech day that is of a reasonable distance, is it common for people to trailer??

I really believe the "proof is in the pudding". If you've already run several tanks of fuel through the bike without mishap.... If the bike seems to be charging the battery well enough so that the electric starter works.... If you've already checked the valve adjustment.... If the oil level is hanging steady and air is staying in the tires.... Then you ride.

To me it's a "trust thing" that's built up over numerous shorter outings. You go out, you notice something that could be better, you ride it back to your shop and make that adjustment. If the frequency of those adjustments and lubrications is getting to be further apart, then you're ready.

• One way is for you to simply tell us what it is you're worried about... what is it that you believe isn't quite correct just yet ? Ignition timing ? Carb balance ? Wheel balance ? Hydraulic brake system ?

• Another way is to research other ABC members near you through the directory. Call and ask if you can ride with them. That's certainly safer and a lot more fun.

Posted : 04/03/2018 21:23
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I have no real concerns honestly with the bike. I did what I feel was a pretty extensive clean up and maintenance regimen, but not to exceed my capabilities and understanding of the bike. I've luckily gotten a few 20, 40, 60 mile runs in over the winter making slight adjustments or changing things that I may have done incorrectly, with pretty good results. She's a tad rich (on purpose for now) but the performance is there.

It's more my lack of motorcycle riding experience as I just got licensed in October of last year after taking a 3 day training course. I am extremely comfortable on the bike, but it was just that I haven't done a good 100+ mile ride due to it being winter. Gotta happen at some point though, so I'm going to use this as my maiden voyage and love every minute of it! I"ll just stay off I-55 and enjoy some back road scenery. 🙂

I like the idea of riding with someone in the area. I will look into that for sure though.

Posted : 04/04/2018 09:25
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I agree wholeheartedly with staying off the Interstate.
• You won't be forced to ride the prevailing speed of the traffic, which is probably faster than you'd be comfortable riding.
• You won't be around large trucks which you can't see around or over, and which also step over death traps (like concrete blocks) in the roadway.
• And you won't be forced into making split-second decisions, like which off ramp to take at multi-highway intersections. On a US or state highway you can pull over at any time, consult a map at leisure, and then proceed.
• I'll gladly ride 40 miles further NOT to get on an Interstate.

Being seen is the key to survival. As a "new" rider may I suggest 2 safety items:
• Wear a yellow, mesh, safety vest, like highway workers wear, over your m/c jacket. Really good ones cost only $20 and will add a LOT to both your daytime and night time visibility.
• Research an item called a "headlamp modulator". These connect into your headlamp circuit and make the Hi beam flicker at around 4 Hz, a frequency that the human brain cannot ignore. And when I say cannot ignore, that even applies to those brains talking on cell phones, applying nail polish, scolding kids in the back seat, or texting. Of course you want to be a polite motorcyclist and etiquette is high on the list, so you can turn the system OFF at traffic stops by switching over to Lo beam. If you ride with one of these for just one month, you'll see 4 or 5 motorist that start to pull out and then suddenly STOP ! Those are would be accident sites you just avoided. These systems also turn themselves OFF at night or in tunnels where you need your regular Hi beam operation. I've been riding with one since 1976 and wouldn't dream of being on a public road without this defensive safety item. You can usually find a "new old stock" modular on Ebay for $25-35 (see item 292510214184). I can help you more on this subject by email.

Hope this helps.

Posted : 04/04/2018 10:49
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks Wobbly, I will get back to you regarding the modulator. Something I find very interesting and desirable. One plus about working for a construction company....free safety vests!!!!!!

Posted : 04/05/2018 21:12
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Anything you can do to make the front of your bike stand out against the background of other traffic will pay big dividends. Almost 3/4 of all motorcycle accidents are frontal. The car driver looks, doesn't see anything, and pulls out (or turns left in front of you).

Posted : 04/05/2018 21:58

Advertisement

Scroll to top