Clear all

Recommend a toaster tank bag?

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Blake Meike
(@blake-meike)
Topic starter

I'm trying to find a tank bag for my /5. I've googled around but haven't seen anything that caught my eye. I'd like something that held my phone where I could see it and was big enough for wallet, keys and maybe some simple groceries.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-blake

Posted : 06/09/2018 21:07
Richard W
(@wobbly)

The big problem for /5 and /6 owners is the height of the fuel cap. That will keep any bag from laying flat against the top of the tank. If you can find a modern bag that will adequately straddle the cap, then you'll have a large hump inside your bag which will prevent the transport of flat objects like books and iPads.

A secondary issue that you need to keep in mind is that if you cut a piece of 3/4" thick closed-cell foam to go between the tank and the bag, you can easily defeat the fuel cap's breather system. The bike is running good, you install the bag, and then only make it a mile or so before the bike sputters to a stop. You open the cap to check the fuel and the bike starts right back up, but only makes it another mile with the bag back in place. Of course you remove the tank bag before you take it to the shop, so they never find anything wrong.... but that doesn't prevent the shop's obligatory head scratching fee !! πŸ˜› (This "breathing" issue is far more common than you think. It was heard again just this last weekend at the Clans.)

β–Ί The flush fitting cap on the /7 solved both these issues.

1. Measure the width (L to R) of the tank's flat top, then look for a bag with that width. Most catalogs and web sites show dimensions. IMHO, a bag that's wider than the tank's narrow flat surface is not going to work well. (Do not buy one of the no-name bags off Ebay. They are a complete rip off.)

2. While you await arrival of your new bag, locate some 5/8 or 3/4" thick closed-cell foam to adhere to the bottom of the bag. That will help step over the height of the fuel cap and keep the bag's interior flat. (You could even experiment with "bubble wrap" until you get your design worked out.)

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/10/2018 18:50
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Went and made some measurements for you....

β€’ New CorTech "Super 2" 10L requires 8 to 9" of flat surface width.

β€’ Bilt Micro requires 5" of flat surface width.

Posted : 06/10/2018 19:19
Blake Meike
(@blake-meike)
Topic starter

Wow! What great info! Thanks a million!

-blake

Posted : 06/11/2018 00:35
Richard W
(@wobbly)

So how wide is that flat area atop the /5 tank ? I have one of those Bilt micros laying on the shelf.

One other thought... you want one of the newer bags becasue they have a feature that allows a phone charger cord to enter the bag without leaving the bag un-zipped. Not something you need everyday, but when you need it....

πŸ˜‰

Posted : 06/11/2018 11:26
Blake Meike
(@blake-meike)
Topic starter

The tank is ~8" wide at its widest point, ~7" where it meets the seat. There's 10" of free space behind the filler cap and another 8" from the back of the cap to the front of the tank.

A lot of these bags attach magnetically. I would have guessed that a layer of foam would break that.

... and as far as cables... I haven't figured out how to get a USB port on a /5 yet πŸ˜›

Posted : 06/11/2018 14:13
Richard W
(@wobbly)

The tank is ~8" wide at its widest point, ~7" where it meets the seat. There's 10" of free space behind the filler cap and another 8" from the back of the cap to the front of the tank.

Then bags the size of the CorTech 10L would work nicely, as long as they were elevated over the height of the fuel cap.

A lot of these bags attach magnetically. I would have guessed that a layer of foam would break that.

The foam is only 8" wide, and therefore fits only on the top, flat section of the tank. The magnetic "wings" fold down, around the left and right sides of the tank and thus extend over the L & R edges of the foam.

...and as far as cables... I haven't figured out how to get a USB port on a /5 yet. πŸ˜›

That's easy. Buy a cigarette lighter socket at the local LAPS. Add a 1A fuse and extend the wires back to the battery posts. Buy one of those automotive USB charger ports and plug it in.

Hope this helps.

Posted : 06/11/2018 22:35

Advertisement

Scroll to top