Clear all

Warning: Riding back roads in western NC - May 2018

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

I had occasion to attend an annual British bike ride on the weekend on May 19 in Blowing Rock, NC. With a good rain suit and my fully-faired R100RS I wasn't much afraid of the water. However, I discovered to my horror that the shear volume of rain in the Blue Ridge Mountain areas of western NC and southern Virginia over the last 2 weeks has left the roads in a condition described by one ride leader as "a disaster area".

Water running alongside the road has been so fierce in places as to completely wash out the shoulder, leaving a rut as much as 18-20 deep at the immediate edge of the pavement. In unexpected places (usually curves), this rushing water has crossed the road, carrying with it the debris from the culvert, including limbs, boards, and huge amounts of gravel. On one road near Banner Elk I measured gravel 4-5 inches deep covering both lanes. I saw 2 mudslides where the hill, with foliage and all, simply covered the road surface. In one place on Hwy 221, between Blowing Rock and Grandfather Mountain, the roadway was undercut and one complete lane had collapsed.

More water is forecast for this weekend. It's going to take a long time for the 2-lane roads in this area to recover. If you are planning a trip via back roads in western NC in the next several months then I'd warn you to delay.

Local TV News Video

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/23/2018 23:43
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the heads up. This was before the storm which cannot be because hurricane season hasn't started yet. I was planning to use 194 going to Clans.
Wonder if Brent's is above water and how wet the camping will be. I'll bring my hammock.

Bob

Posted : 05/27/2018 21:03
Robert Whigham
(@1872)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the heads up. This was before the storm which cannot be because hurricane season hasn't started yet. I was planning to use 194 going to Clans.
Wonder if Brent's is above water and how wet the camping will be. I'll bring my hammock.

Bob

Posted : 05/27/2018 21:03
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

You're very correct. The Clans rally is just southeast of this area. In north GA we've had an additional 4 days of heavy rain this week since I wrote that.

Most of the debris should be cleared by now, but I still wouldn't be throwing a bike over headed into any blind turns on the lesser used back roads of NC just yet.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/30/2018 13:21

Advertisement

Scroll to top